Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need Help With Backing Fabric

Gee, that's 2 in one week that I have seen. Special to me as I plan to make one for my brother. All the suggestions re backing is helpful to me too. Never knew other people also saw " a quilt" with the bags. I would like to find a way to use the whole front of the bag with the gold stitiching. Have too many things on go right now to do a design anyway. good luck with backing.

Great quilt.

Joanne's.com and Nancy's Notions have nice wide backings at a reasonable price. I would also go with a cotton in blue and white print.

Beautiful top! No suggestions about the back except a not too tiny purple and white print.

Lovely quilt top! I'd look at some prints that have varying shades of purples and maybe small amounts of white -- depending on your taste, that could be florals, a nice multi woven plaid, multi colored circles, or even an off white plain....either cotton or flannel would be good, depending on how you intend to use the quilt after its done.

Can't help with your question but I love your quilt and colors.

Lovely quilt. The colors are striking. Personally, I would use flannel for the backing

I would think a lavender would be very nice for this.

great quilt. If you pre-wash fabric, it doesn't really matter what combos you use -- flannel, cotton, whatever. But if you didn't pre-wash, I'd suggest you pick a flannel in a similar weight/thread count to the top. this way it all shrinks together later on. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Nancy View Post
    Here are pics of my Crown Royal quilt top. I want to purchase wide quilt backing and am looking for color suggestions. Also, since the top is flannel would it be better to use cotton instead of flannel backing so it won't be quite so heavy. That's what I am thinking. Please help me decide.
    Thanks, Nancy
    I love your pattern, is this your own design? or did you find this pattern somewhere. I have loads of purple, no crown royals fabric, just regular cotton, and would love to do some of my purples in this design. Would you share the pattern please? That turned out so pretty.

It's a beautiful top, but I didn't know what Crown Royal was. I had to google Crown Royal bags and then to find out what went in them.

Blog Entries
    Great quilt! Love the pattern!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
    I love your pattern, is this your own design? or did you find this pattern somewhere. I have loads of purple, no crown royals fabric, just regular cotton, and would love to do some of my purples in this design. Would you share the pattern please? That turned out so pretty.
    There is a youtube video that I worked from. It is friendship star pattern so the crown royal in the center is 3 3/4" and the 8 blocks surrounding the crown royal (to make the one block) are hst's that finished at 3 3/4". The border is 3" of crown royal bags and then another pleated border. The flannel was a little more difficult to work with.

Purple/cream backing would look nice.

Oh man your so clever! This is really neat. A little harder to quilt through, but I love flannel back quilts. Cozy and warm, plus it doesn't slip around on the bed. A lavender colour backing would be really pretty on this very pretty quilt.

aaaquilterssupply.com carries wide quilt backing and they are the most reasonably priced that I've found. I'd use cotton backing. Hope you washed your flannel before making the quilt as it will shrink at a different rate than plain cotton. I would NOT wash it before backing with whatever you choose though!

Joanne's has broadcloth in wide widths that you could buy with a coupon. The color choices are limited though. Several have suggested a cream color, it comes in that color.
    :-)
    CAS

This really turned out pretty. If you want fabric as wide as the top, how about finding a flat sheet for the back?
    Jeanie

oooh...that's pretty! I think I would go with a subtle multi-colored fabric. this web site lets you get free samples so that you can test several ideas & see what you're getting b4 buying...
    http://www.backsidefabrics.com/sampleswatches.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2