Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need HELP with borders...

Need HELP with borders...

I am making a quilt for my husband’s niece. My hubby ask me to do it a little bigger than I have done, so I decided to add two more borders –a thin white one, and light purple one with a block in the corners.

The question is – do all the borders look OK together? Please, help me to decide…
    Attached Images Attached Images

The borders look great together, and love the cornerstones.
    Michelle

May your bobbin always be full! ~Author Unknown

Looks good to me. Just like there are no quilt police, I don't think there are any border police either. Sometimes a quilter isn't certain how you want the borders treated. All as one or each with different pattern. You could be giving that part some thought. The most important thing is do they lay flat and is it square. Measurement of the two diagonal lines should be the same.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Great job .....love the boards and corners

They look wonderful. Great job!!!!!

I don't like the purple - i think it's too light for the outside border..I feel like the quilt is "unbalanced"....My eye wants to see a darker color on the outside. Think of a stack of something - the "heaviest" item is on the bottom - for me, I think the visually "heaviest" item should be on the outside.

What about repeating the pink polka dot on the outside??? darker shade of purple?
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I don't like the purple - i think it's too light for the outside border..I feel like the quilt is "unbalanced"....My eye wants to see a darker color on the outside. Think of a stack of something - the "heaviest" item is on the bottom - for me, I think the visually "heaviest" item should be on the outside.

What about repeating the pink polka dot on the outside??? darker shade of purple?
    This was my exact thoughts when I first pulled it up
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

I agree with Becca and Nancy. The dark border seems to "finish" the quilt. I think a darker purple would look better. By the way, your quilt is very nice.
    Sue

i think it looks just great. love your colors. good job

It looks great. Love the cornerstones.
    Michelle

Great quilt. Darker border would make rest of quilt pop. Love the polka dots.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    I think it is fabulous just the way you have it!!! That is a great quilt; don't change a thing!
    Cherylsea

Such a beautiful quilt, I would go with the thin white border and then a slightly larger border of the material that surrounds the blocks. (or maybe even a black) I think it would really make the quilt outstanding.

Blog Entries
    I agree with those that want a darker border, even black-the purple looks out of place IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter2theend View Post
    Such a beautiful quilt, I would go with the thin white border and then a slightly larger border of the material that surrounds the blocks. (or maybe even a black) I think it would really make the quilt outstanding.
    That's what I was thinking. If there isn't enough of the first border fabric (the dark one) can you make a pieced border, maybe piano keys, with the dark, pink and purple?

What are you planning to use for the binding? If the binding is a darker fabric, then the lighter border won't seem to be so visually out of place. I really like it, especially your cornerstones, but do think it needs the dark finish.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
    I agree with Becca and Nancy. The dark border seems to "finish" the quilt. I think a darker purple would look better. By the way, your quilt is very nice.Sue
    I agree with the darker border. It's a beautiful quilt and the cornerstones compliment the quilt.
    Helen T.

Thank you all for your opinions! I really needed them…

Does one of those fabrics work better?
    #2 fabric I have enough of
    #1 I don’t have enough to make a border along the length of the fabric (warp)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It needs a darker something on the outside. It's like the first dark border stops your eyes then the lighter turns them loose to go again, away from the pretty inside.

I do like the blue - brings out the same colour in the inner blocks - what about a blue border that is about double the width of the light outer border, then finish off with either the darker reds or do you have more of the darker garden fabric - about the same width of the two narrow outer borders (cream + blue)?

LOVE the cornerstones - really ties everything together!
    Linda
    http://quiltingbiker.blogspot.com

I like fabric 1 - the polka dot the best. It's visually "heavier" than the other. If you don't have enough to make the border in one piece, then piece it. You really wont notice it. I also think this one adds "pizazz"!!
    Last edited by 117becca; 03-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I liked your first border. I felt it picked up the colors in the quilt blocks better than the second two. I LOVE the corner blocks. Remember the border will be hanging off the edge of the bed. Also, I love hearing opinions, and you've asked for them, but it's ultimately your quilt.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Very pretty quilt. Since you asked, I would have to say that I prefer it without the added borders. Looks perfect as it is.