Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help Cat Advent Calendar (Wm. Morris) >

Need Help Cat Advent Calendar (Wm. Morris)

Need Help Cat Advent Calendar (Wm. Morris)

Old 10-09-2010, 02:40 PM

[quote=lindyline]
Originally Posted by amma
Ok... so the cat blocks get sewn on as pockets, to the piece with the numbers :wink: gotcha :D

So now you make up a pocket with each cat pic, I would sew a backing to each little pic, leaving an opening to turn, and then sew both sides and bottom of each pic to the backing, keeping top open to put a little something in. Hope this helps. :thumbup:
not enough fabric to get a seam around each cat pic - doing this would allow too much of the plain background panel to show between each "pocket". I'm walking right in your footsteps behind you though, because I think it will be neater and stronger if I treat each of the 5 pocket panel strips as you suggested per kitty pic. In other words instead of turning under the 4 edges (2 long sides and 2 short) just stitch a backing on it, leave an opening for turning and viola' I'm ready to attach to the background panel. Also I have to correct myself this printed panel WILL make 25 pockets - I thought the one strip only had 4 pockets printed on it. So there is a prize for Christmas day too? My memory must be failing me - maybe what I remember is that I never did the Christmas Day one as a child with all the excitement of the big morning....
Old 10-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Nice website! Lots of pretty patterns.
I saw Advent calendars but no cats. Did I miss it??
Old 10-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by piledriver
Originally Posted by amma
Interesting... Check out these two patterns on Fabric Freedom's website

Instructions for Dickens Calendar

Instructions for Advent Calendar

http://www.fabricfreedom.co.uk/QuiltsAndProjects.html
OK - after reading the posts...I think I've got it. The directions download is good but added to "Laureneberherd's" description that an ADVENT calendar contains "pockets" (I must say that I've never seen one with pockets only ones with ITEMS to attach velcro daily to mark each passing day, in the countdown to Christmas day. Of course any & all would be made in advance to have ready to use at the start of Advent & most unless made of paper or such can be used year after year. I was also expecting numerical order instead of random order. My expectations/experiences were also that Christmas Eve was the last day to use the calendar with no space for Christmas itself as that was the goal all along - this panel will make 24 POCKETS) I guess this all makes sense.
I knew the members of the "brain trust" would come through once again. Many thanks to all. This group is fantastic! Our grandson is just 13 months old; so I'm thinking I have a whole year and a little bit to actually put this together.
I have seen many advent calendars go to only 24, as I guess they figure people are too busy opening presents on Christmas Day to worry about the calendar!! :) Plus 24 is easier to make rows of. Almost all the advents I have had had the numbers jumbled up as it makes it more fun for the kids to search down the number each morning. :) I am making one myself (my own pattern) that is pockets so I can put little candies in it for my son and the numbers are jumbled so he has to hunt a bit for the right number. Have fun!!
Old 09-02-2017, 07:10 AM

Hi no one has posted on here since 2010 so i am hoping someone will help me out. i have 5 of those cat calendars and i would like to sew it but do not have instructions and the link in this post does not work... does anyone know how to put it together? I'd really appreciate it. thanks
Old 11-23-2019, 06:07 AM

In some European countries, the Christmas gifts are exchanged on the 24th (not the 25th), that is why the countdown ends early.
Yes, the small treats are put into the pockets before the countdown begins, and on each day of advent you search for the relevant number and enjoy the gift inside.
I see the William Morris fabric is still available here. https://www.quilterstudio.com/Fabrics160.htm.
There are several tutorials on the net how to sew a pocket calendar, I hope this helps.

https://www.angeledenblog.com/2012/1...-tutorial.html
https://www.frugalandthriving.com.au...ndar-tutorial/
https://thediydreamer.com/christmas/...-with-pockets/