Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with color/pattern for male quilt

Need help with color/pattern for male quilt

I just recently found out that my forty-five year old son's favorite color is orange. He has gone thru a tough year dealing with depression and divorce. Is doing much better now but I would like to make him a quilt. He's likes outdoor things -hunting, fishing, trees, wild flowers - nature in general. What would be a good pattern utilizing oranges, greens, etc. that go well together. I'm pretty much open to a design. Some appliqué on it would be fine but it needs to be very useable and washable.

Thank you in advance for ideas.

I made my brother a quilt from the pattern Cheese and Crackers. It was easy and he loves it. I used greens, browns, burgundys etc. Perfect for a man. That pattern is super easy and looks great. I didn't use outdoorsy fabric but it still looked mannish.
    Glad he's on the mend. Depression is no joke and our society still doesn't seem to "get it".

I just checked and Missouri Star has it.
    Last edited by SusieQOH; 03-06-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Try www.maryquilts.com and check out the free patterns. Scroll down on the right hand side to Quick Strippie Quilt. I've made this a few times because it takes on whatever feeling you need. It would look good with an outdoor fabric or plaids separated by a dark solid or the orange you need.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

This isn't what you asked for, but you mentioned orange...and I just made an all orange quilt. It is bright and cheery...and orange isn't even one of my colors. My son bought me fabric for Christmas, and he wanted to make sure it wasn't fabric I had, so he bought orange. He knew I didn't have any orange. I surprised myself by liking the results.

The pattern is Just Take Five, in case it sparks a creative idea.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe get an outdoor panel with wildlife and add to it, there are many neat bear panels out there
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Fabric.com has 7 pages of fish fabric, but not the one I was looking for, and probably more wildlife. This panel with rail fence blocks around it in burnt orange, green and tan or blue would be good for a fisherman. Or one of the allover prints done in Warm Wishes. https://www.fabric.com/buy/0491899/q...35-panel-cream

We have used Yellow Brick Road multiple times when we had a group of fabrics but no pattern. It never fails to impress.

I really like this pattern... I think its masculine and it wasn't too awful hard to assemble

Name:  2da9d59c87a9dbfdc1a242be527c08f2.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  87.1 KB

I did this one for a dear friend. It is a DP9 with yellows and browns with an orange block in the center spot. He really liked it.https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...h-t167091.html
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I use greens, yellows, golds, browns, pinecones, fish, bears, deer fabrics for guy quilts. Rust, cranberry, tans, blues colors are good too. Of course, I don't use all the above colors in one quilt.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what about a bargello? or maybe an Irish Chain using green,orange and another green or brown with a tan background.

Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    I really like this pattern... I think its masculine and it wasn't too awful hard to assemble

Name:  2da9d59c87a9dbfdc1a242be527c08f2.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  87.1 KB
    I really like that pattern and fabric you used. Great pattern for a male or put in floral for a lady.!!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

I made this one for my ex. He was an avid fisherman. No pattern, I just used a panel and created the border to match colors in the panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
    I just recently found out that my forty-five year old son's favorite color is orange. He has gone thru a tough year dealing with depression and divorce. Is doing much better now but I would like to make him a quilt. He's likes outdoor things -hunting, fishing, trees, wild flowers - nature in general. What would be a good pattern utilizing oranges, greens, etc. that go well together. I'm pretty much open to a design. Some appliqué on it would be fine but it needs to be very useable and washable.

Thank you in advance for ideas.
    I just made this orange quilt for a young girl but this would look great in darker oranges and more masculine prints. The pieces are cut large enough that you could use novelty/theme prints too. It is a free pattern on Amy Smart's web sight (it's called "Simple Stripes and is halfway down her tutorial page). Very easy to make larger (instructions at the bottom of the tutorial).
    My new quick go-to pattern.

Name:  xpost.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  274.4 KB

Blog Entries
    I made a really nice, fast quilt for a male by using a panel. I put different borders on it and it came out pretty darn nice. It was a picture of a cabin with a deer in the foreground surrounded in a forest of trees and leaves (all the colors you need). He'll love whatever you do for him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassylass View Post
    I really like that pattern and fabric you used. Great pattern for a male or put in floral for a lady.!!
    Name of pattern.....
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Have you looked at equilter.com? They have lots of wildlife panels and fabrics and lots of free patterns to use them. I recently made a quilt featuring a buggling elk panel as the main feature. I used the small panel prints on the back. There were orange features and I used an orange batik for the border. My son really likes his 50th birthday quilt.

Meyert.. love that pattern. Can you share the name or link? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Meyert, I have been looking for this pattern. Is it for sale somewhere or is it your creation. Either way it is beautiful for a man. I want to make it for a brother for Christmas. I am making all 6 brothers and sisters a quilt this year.

What is the pattern?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vcquan View Post
    Meyert.. love that pattern. Can you share the name or link? Thanks
    I think this is the pattern: https://www.harvesthousequilting.com...n-x2833366.htm

I think stars would work well.... Maybe use orange as sashes... I made & gifted my 2 DGSs graduation quilts with lots of stars....
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

What an awesome quilt, Margaret.
    Perfectly masculine but bright and cheery too!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I like this one, too.

My first thought is "autumn", since orange is a dominant color in fall fabrics. Orange, dull green, and brown; something with pieced leaves? Or if you choose another pattern you could use fabric with autumn leaves.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!