Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rolling tote?

Rolling tote?

Those of you that go to classes and or retreats.....what type of rolling tote do you have? I was looking at getting a large one even though my machine is smaller. I figure I can put things inside of the tote to fill it up. I also figure if I get a large one and need to take my large machine I'd have room.
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

I have two rolling totes. One is a large Tutto, that I got for transporting and storing my Janome MC6600. It's not put in it very often but once in a while I have to put the machine away when we have company.

For my truly portable machine, I have one that I got at Joann's. My travel machines are smaller - I have a Featherweight and a small Europro. I like the standard size because of the room it provides. I keep a complete set of scissors, seam ripper, a few rulers, extension cord, a small cutting mat, a rotary cutter with blades, thread, and room for my projects I'm going to work on. I even have a spare light bulb for my machine. That way I don't have to worry about forgetting something when I travel.

I was looking at the Tutto. Do you have any of the other cases that coordinate with it?

That's a great idea to have extra supplies kept in the tote. It would certainly make it a little easier to pack!
    Ginger

Mine is from Joanne’s (with coupon). My machine is 3/4 size, I keep my necessities in an old cigar box which packs in there nicely.

I don't have any other coordinating cases - didn't know there are any.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    mine are also from JoAnn's (actually one's from old Hancock store). My travel machine fits perfectly, my larger Elna has to sit at an angle but still works. I use my Large cutting mat bag to hold other things and then stick projects into a rolling craft bag that also has shoulder straps. Came very close today at Costco to purchasing a folding wagon!

Banned
    I use a couple from JoAnns. One is part of a set of bags, Everything Mary I think is the brand. One of my rolling totes is from my dealer for one of my embroidery machines, I think it's a Blue Fig. My serger cases are square rolling soft sided cooler totes from a thrift store, the sergers fit perfectly. And one more thrift store purchase is a rolling crafters tote that my smaller machines fit perfectly into.

Cari

Blog Entries
    i love my tutto. i like the four wheels instead of only 2 on most of the other brands.
    i also prefer the tutto handle. it's the only one i don't have to bend while rolling it.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Folding wagon...hmmmm........that's a thought too!

Thanks ladies!
    Ginger

I have had my bluefig for years

Be careful how big. Easy to load heavier than you can pick up. Love my tuto. Seldom had my machine in it, but makes a great tote for laptop and all the other office supplies when I was vending at quilt shows. It is also my favorite for vacations. Whichever you choose enjoy.

I bought the Luova rolling tote from Amazon. I love it! It's been all over with me for workshops, classes, bus trips, etc. I have the Pfaff Passport 3.0 machine for classes and it fits perfectly with enough room for all my supplies as well. It's easy to maneuver and still looks new after two years.

Quote Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
    I bought the Luova rolling tote from Amazon. I love it! It's been all over with me for workshops, classes, bus trips, etc. I have the Pfaff Passport 3.0 machine for classes and it fits perfectly with enough room for all my supplies as well. It's easy to maneuver and still looks new after two years.
    I'll have to check out the Luova. No one but you has mentioned it!! Thanks
    Ginger

I have the large Hemline and I love it. I do have a large machine and I use the trolley to bring it in for service or when I must take my large machine for a class. Mostly though, I use it for my small class machine for retreats. Between the large machine tote and the smaller tote that sits on top of it I am able to bring everything I need for a 3-4 day retreat without bringing another bag. My Hemline also has a case for a large mat that zips onto the back of the trolling, and that is really helpful for my mat, Steady Betty and my rulers. It does get a bit heavy to lift into the car, but it's worth it not to have to bring a million bags.

For going to classes, an 11 lb Brother fits into an office rolling file box (~$25 at Office Depot). It is packed with Gypsy cushion, fan, iron, basic tools, pin cushion, cotton towels for iron pad, extension cold, surge protector power strip, tools for the machine, extension table, light, small cutting mat/template/blade, machine manual, ~2" on top for project. It's the max I can lift into the car and maintain body dynamics. Because the lid is flat, I can stack more project stuff on top and wheel the whole thing. It stays packed so I don't forget something, such as the cords to my machine. There might be something specific to the project that needs to be added. It doesn't tip over when speeding around corners. It's easily replaced.
    Last edited by petthefabric; 03-08-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have used one of those fold-up carts for transporting my machine. However, recently, I found a carry-on type bag with wheels that had a zipper opening compartment on the outside that is perfect for rotary cutters and other tools at Goodwill for $3.59. I have also used tool boxes with wheels from WalMart. I do find the fold-up carts are good for transporting almost anything else.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I would be cautious about packing too much inside a bag with my sewing machine. Love tote from Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/20-in-...bag-61925.html I have two of them. Also, Harbor Freight has lots of stuff that can be used for sewing/quilting. Just search on this site.

Just bought a bluefig trolley. I bought the 23" trolley because I have a Janome 9400. Saleslady assured me it would fit. It has extra pockets and is very easy to handle. Look for sales -- got a great deal on mine.

I have a Tutto for my Bernina. It was expensive and I wish that it had fewer organizing pockets. They are not convenient for me. I have a small rolling London Fog suitcase for my featherweight. It has foam inserts in the side pockets for protection. It is perfect and it has a strong handle. Over the years, I have owned many cases from JoAnn’s. They worked for a while and then the handles broke. If you buy one, check the handle. Hopefully they have improved.

Love my bluefig, Has inside pockets,outside pockets. Large enough for cutting mats and what else I have to take to class. I also felt it was a very good buy. I believe I purchased it on Amazon.
    Good luck in you search.

Years ago I bought a rolling cart at Target which folds up. I made a lining for it. It holds my FW and all my supplies when I take a class. I do have to load it up when I get to the class site, but that is fine with me.

I have used a medium-sized wheeled suitcase! Machine (without case) fit crosswise s it is on its base when rolling; soft quilted cases of accessories in the other half.
    Also, with machine in case, a folding dolly with bungee cord, case of project and supplies sitting on top of machine case.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

We have several from JoAnn's . Both large and small. Like the large one the best because it comes with two accessory
    pouches which hold a lot of stuff. I can put a 221 or 301 inside with everything you would need to sew any project.

Also carry big machines like the 401 but not with as much extra space for accessories.
    Have also bought luggage bags on wheels with a big compartment that a machine will fit into
    at the thrift stores. Padded soft coolers will also make great soft cases for the Featherweight 221.