Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help designing a quilt, Please

need help designing a quilt, Please

I have been asked to make a quilt out of some hand embroidered blocks, they were embroidered by my dear friend that passed away this July.. her daughter asked if I would make this quilt.

She and I worked together me as a custodian and her as a security guard at our high school, she had time as she would do a lot of sitting at a desk at the doors monitoring who came and went, so she started embroidering these squares, she always said they were going to be a quilt for her granddaughters wedding..She dated most of them and put little messages of love for her granddaughter in the designs.

I have 18 blocks, they average about 17 inches and I know I will have to square them up to all one size. I really don't know how to go about making this quilt or how to lay them out, I was told to make it as big as I could as the granddaughter has a king bed.
    There are 12 blocks that are a medallion design and 6 block that are kind of a flower design, I could make some kind of block to go with these or just use a plan block. I laid out the blocks on my king bed but they didn't come out even, I did 4x4 which is 16 so I have 2 left over. also they are embroidered on thin fabric so will have to do something about that too..

Does anyone have any suggestions on a lay out for this quilt..I am really kind of scare that I will mess this up and these blocks can't be replace.So I have out to get it right.... Here are the picture of the blocksThanks so much..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    If you used 18 plain blocks ( I would probably use white since it’s going to be a wedding quilt & that would give a lot of space for custom quilting to compliment the blocks) then trim them to 16 1/2” if possible. A 6 X 6 layout (36 blocks) would make the quilt 96” square. You could add a border around the whole thing to bring it to 100”
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

DJ
    They are beautiful. Good luck with this project. Sorry I can't really offer any advice, though.

Blog Entries
    well you could think of putting them on point with sashings in between. The quilt then would measure across the blocks point to point. I'm doing a baby quilt right now like that.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    well you could think of putting them on point with sashings in between. The quilt then would measure across the blocks point to point. I'm doing a baby quilt right now like that.
    Not sure how to put the blocks on point and would I need some other fabric to make this? Do you know of a web site I could go to for help with this with pictures, that would help..Thanks

Power Poster
    If you have enough then I would put green sashing between them as the blocks all have green thread in them. If you need to put plain blocks between them, I would use green because the chance of getting a white to match the original blocks will be hard.

Beautiful blocks. Here is a example of a quilt with 18 blocks (12 of one kind and 6 of another) on point. Just to give you a starting point. Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 961
Size:  1.75 MB
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    You might want to contact your local quilt guild to see if some of the members could help you with layout and prepping of the blocks.

Blog Entries
    this is a youth quilt that i made with hand embroidered blocks, maybe something like this
    Name:  20111212 fiona quilt.JPG
Views: 951
Size:  89.6 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

JenniePennie, What a gorgeous quilt! And the setting is perfect for using Quiltlady's lovely embroided blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I was thinking the same thing when blocks are on point I feel like it gives them a little pizzazz.

maybe a pale blue for the sashing?

here is one spot with directions. Google "quilt blocks on point" and a lot information will pull up

https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/03/on-point-quilting/
    Last edited by meyert; 01-01-2018 at 03:25 PM.

I like the on point layout idea. I would use a thin green "frame" around each block, then use whatever kind of sashing you decide on.

I like the "on point" layout for what it's worth. That will really showcase your friends lovely work... I'm not a fan of colored sashing but for this quilt, I would pick a complimentary color as others have suggested...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Thanks ladies, I can always count on all of you for some great ideas. I think the on point would look great, now I just have to figure out how to do that. there are some good info on this subjection the web, so will look this up and see how hard it will be for me.. Thanks again..

QuiltnNan beautiful red work. And the fabric is so perfect to go with it.
    Peace

Since the fabric is a bit thin, you might want to use a light Pellon, perhaps. This reminds me of a quilt made from old hankies, so if you can find any antique ones to go along with the embroidery, you might consider adding them to fill out the on-point layout. I like adding some green to the whole thing.

I think the on point arrangement would show these beautiful blocks to best advantage. They could be complemented with color blocks and sashings. Actually, you could use more than one color if you wanted to. Be careful to use white batting if the fabric in the blocks is thinner than the fabric you use in alternate blocks and sashings. Please do not use an iron on interfacing on the back of the blocks. It will not lay flat because of the embroidery process. Another idea, if the embroidered blocks are 'thin' is to use a second layer of fabric behind them and treat the two layers as one in your construction. The quilting process will hold them together so it won't be obvious that there are two layers. Please show us your quilt in process or when finished. You are doing a great thing.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    PM'd you.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Oh WOW!! I was going to use a iron on interfacing as the blocks are really thin, kind of like a fine hanky, they are not real white white, they are more off white so i don't want to try and match that. ..would unbleached muslin work for the back of the blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    I think the on point arrangement would show these beautiful blocks to best advantage. They could be complemented with color blocks and sashings. Actually, you could use more than one color if you wanted to. Be careful to use white batting if the fabric in the blocks is thinner than the fabric you use in alternate blocks and sashings. Please do not use an iron on interfacing on the back of the blocks. It will not lay flat because of the embroidery process. Another idea, if the embroidered blocks are 'thin' is to use a second layer of fabric behind them and treat the two layers as one in your construction. The quilting process will hold them together so it won't be obvious that there are two layers. Please show us your quilt in process or when finished. You are doing a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    PM'd you.

Jan in VA

Thank you Jan I PM'd you too.. Thank you so much for your help. This project is really scary.. LOL but I really want to do this to honor my friend..

Ok I love the on point lay out, now I was wondering if I should use corner stones, what do you think?

Blog Entries
    The embroidered blocks are beautiful and I can see how you’d be nervous but I’m sure it will be beautiful.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Do you anticipate that this quilt will be actively used? Perhaps making it a king is not as important? Since the one who embroidered this is gone and the fabric is somewhat thin, it may be a display quilt. Yes, to putting the blocks on point though. There's something about turning blocks that really lets them shine!

Everyone has given great advice. Jennie Penny's layout is stunning, giving a visual for the idea of putting the blocks on point. I also liked Mkotch's idea about hankies; if you have access to any of them, a variety would be nice as the "other" blocks shown by Jennie. Quilterpurpledog had a good idea of using a thing cloth layer under the embroidered blocks. I think that there is a thin white muslin, but I'm not sure that white is a "thing." Once you find something that you like for the "other" blocks, you can play around with a setting that pleases you. Then you can post a picture and ask for specific help in calculating how to cut the triangle settings for the edges. Step-by-step should keep you sane and on track.

A true labor of love - you are obviously a caring and loving friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast