Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with dresden plate block. >

Need help with dresden plate block.

Need help with dresden plate block.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Need help with dresden plate block.

I want to make a pillow for my daughter. Her husband passed away suddenly and I want to use some of his ties to make a dresden plate pattern. I want to have 12 blades with about a three inch circle in the middle for his name. The pillow should be about 14-18 inches. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Open the ties and use iron on interfacing before you cut your blades. I have seen several that really are beautiful.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:06 PM

Thank you very for your help. That is a good idea and I will do that. I wish I could find a pattern with the right size blades to make it the size I need.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

See if this would work for you http://www.sewmamasew.com/2010/04/dr...k_pattern.html
I tried the link but it looks like they have moved some things. Try Googling it instead. It was a 14 inch Dresden plate done with the pointed ends.

Last edited by Tartan; 12-27-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Just wanted to say prayers going y'all's way. I know the pain. I lost my husband 6 yrs ago in a car accident
Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Here's a discussion on QB about blade sizes: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...on-t80726.html

This site has info on using ties in a quilt: http://quiltbug.com/articles/mens-ties.htm

Last edited by cherisews; 12-27-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:26 PM

I made 4 of these pillows for my 4 grown children for Christmas. Everyone cried! Each pillow had 20 blades. The pillow form was 20". I found a wonderful short saying that I embroidered on the back with my embroidery machine. If you would like me to send you a picture I could do that tomorrow if I can figure out your email. I have one pillow yet to give when my son comes here tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 PM

I posted this in the other thread by mistake.
For a 12 section plate I'd draw it out with a compass and ruler.

Start with a center point. Set your compass to the radius of your inner circle and draw your inner circle.
Without changing your radius put the point of your compass on the circle you just drew.
Mark from that point to the next on the circle. It will take 6 marks to go completely around the circle.
Draw a line from the center of your circle thru one of the marks you just made out past where your outer circle will be.
Now set your compass to the radius of your outer circle and draw your outer circle using the same center point as the first.
Start where the line you drew from the center crosses your outer circle and mark around your outer circle just like you did with the first one. You now have your inner and outer circles with 6 evenly spaced sections.
To get 12 petals put your compass point on one of the marks on the outer circle and make a short arc outside the circle. Move your compass to the next section and cross the first arc with another arc.
Draw a line from the center of the circle thru where those two arcs cross.
Now move your compass to where your line crosses the outer circle and mark around your outer circle again 6 times. Draw lines from the center of your circles thru each of those marks and you will end up with 12 evenly sized sections for your plate. From there it's a simple matter to add seam allowances to one of the sections for your template.
Easier to do than to type out or read about.
Clear as mud?
Rodney
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 PM

EZ Quilting has the Easy Dresden Plate Quilt Template that is pretty inexpensive $8 with full instructions to make any size you want. Sure a lot easier than figuring it out on your own. Got mine at Joanns. Can also do a google search.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:24 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. Your pillows sound wonderful and I would really appreciate a picture. Thanks so much.