Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with fabric for a Bargello quilt

Hi all! I have decided to try the tutorial for a Bargello quilt that Barb_Mo made but I really need help with my fabrics. I am just not sure how to get that sort of fading look. I hope my pictures are ok, this is my first time doing this!

Thanks so much!

All strips together
    Name:  Attachment-69944.jpe
Views: 716
Size:  71.8 KB

1-6
    Name:  Attachment-69945.jpe
Views: 388
Size:  61.7 KB

7-11
    Name:  Attachment-69946.jpe
Views: 388
Size:  82.8 KB

I would try to put them in order from light to dark, then take a black and white photo. That should really help you make sure they're in the correct order for the fading you're looking for.

bj
    I think it would look nice to put the yellows/tan together and fade light to dark, then put the blues together and fade light to dark. But I've never made one, so I could be totally off base. I like fabric choices. The yellow with the little white flowers is my favorite.

Pam
    #10 is going to read really light, it has to be moved down. The same with #7. carefully lay all of your fabrics together on your scanner and make a b+w copy, THEN you can see the values.

Here's how I see them from darkest to lightest (blues to yellows):
    11, 9, 8, 5, 2, 6, 3, 10, 4, 1, 7.

Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    I think I would agree. Is it possible to put them in this order and then take a picture to post so we could see it? (Don't you love this board? It's like having a thousand quilting buddies over to the house but you don't have to clean and you can invite them any time you're ready, even the middle of the night!) :-D :-D

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I think I would agree. Is it possible to put them in this order and then take a picture to post so we could see it? (Don't you love this board? It's like having a thousand quilting buddies over to the house but you don't have to clean and you can invite them any time you're ready, even the middle of the night!) :-D :-D
    Yes I love this board and fully agree with you.

I can do that! I am loving this site more and more! So many are willing to help, its great!

Suggested layout
    Name:  Attachment-70260.jpe
Views: 683
Size:  77.6 KB

That's going to make one stunning quilt. Hurry and get started so we can see! :D

Quote Originally Posted by tabsmonsters

I can do that! I am loving this site more and more! So many are willing to help, its great!
    May I make a suggestion? I think I would change to have pale yellow, darker yellow and then the two blue and yellow prints.

I like that second layout. It should be beautiful.

I like this layout, with Barb's suggested change. I'm 'reading' #8 and #9 as almost the same. I might use only one or the other, not the two side-by-side.

I think the yellows are OK but the two blues (8 & 9) seem too close in color. I would change one of them and then start - it's going to be beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO

May I make a suggestion? I think I would change to have pale yellow, darker yellow and then the two blue and yellow prints.

How about now?

2nd layout
    Name:  Attachment-70488.jpe
Views: 93
Size:  65.6 KB

I think the yellows are OK but the two blues (8 & 9) seem too close in color. I would change one of them and then start - it's going to be beautiful!
    I get what you both are saying. I guess I wll have to make another trip to the fabric store :lol:

Can you give me an idea of what to replace it with? Another yellow maybe since there are so many blues?

#9 & 10 doesn't bother me...each fabric doesn't have to graduate in color density. The fabric that seems to need attention is #6. When you squint your eyes and look at the fabrics all together, the #6 is off color. Since it isn't an outstanding print that needs to stand out from the rest, that would be the one I would replace with a better one to blend 2 & 3 together

tabsmonsters, I added this to the Bargello Quilts virtual section so it will be found among the other postings about bargello guilts.

Thanks!

Hi all! I have decided to try the tutorial for a Bargello quilt that Barb_Mo made but I really need help with my fabrics. I am just not sure how to get that sort of fading look. I hope my pictures are ok, this is my first time doing this!

Thanks so much!
    I have done a lot of bargellos and I think strips 1 and 10 will not blend in anywhere. They have too much pattern and color variation. Look for fabrics that "read" more plain. And someone mentione taking a black and white photo. That would work as would taking a bit of each fabric and making a black and white copy on a copy machine. That way you only get values - not colors, and it's easier to see the gradation.

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't wait to see how this comes out. I love your choice of colors, too. Good luck!!! :D

I have never done this type of quilt - but all the information was very interesting to read. It sure helped a lot in the color layout.

Blog Entries
    I think you'll get pretty decent results with your latest layout.

I don't have any photos of the uncut strips handy, but this is a bargello fabric I made last month for a bag.

the batch "started" at the brown, and went to the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I think the amount of yellow is fine... it's your "sparkle" and you don't want to over-do a good thing.

I too would go shopping but replace #8 -OR- #9 with something between 8/9 and #5, so to create more of a gradual blend.

It will be lovely! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    I would try to put them in order from light to dark, then take a black and white photo. That should really help you make sure they're in the correct order for the fading you're looking for.
    You can easily convert the pictures you've already taken to black & white using Paint.net. It's free to download & fun to play with. I use it often for printing black & white pictures on fabric.

Here are your fabric arrangements so far. I think the 3rd is the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    great idea!! B&W

but still too much of a jump between 8 and 5 in the last photo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast