Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help fining a thread. >

Need help fining a thread.

Need help fining a thread.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:22 PM

Default Need help fining a thread.

Last week while doing one of my favorite past times (enjoying this board) I saw a picture of someone's grandchildren making a quilt (it may have been boys). I'm looking for that thread because in that picture was a sewing machine perfect size for kids. I'm looking to buy a sewing machine for my grand children and that looked perfect for what I want. If someone can directed me to that thread I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t259581.html
Old 01-17-2015, 06:13 PM

Yes, this is it. Thank you so much. Now off to check out that sewing machine.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Remember to always post a comment on a post that you will want to come back to. Then you can find it in your profile.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Word of experience. I bought one of those small plastic machines for my grand and it was a pain from the start. I spent to much time trying to get it to sew. She was frustrated. I bought a Janome Hello Kitty machine, the real one, not the toy one. It works great. It's 3/4 size and no problem at all. She loves that machine even though she can use any of my machines she likes now that she is older.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:14 PM

I bought a used Janome Jem for my grandaughter when she turned 7. I went to a Janome dealer. Paid about 125.00. It came with the carrying bag. It was just the right size. Don't forget the little one grow up fast. You want something that will last for years and they will grow into. My grandaughter make a rag quilt on it.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:26 AM

Thank you ladies. I have some homework to do.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 AM

I just spent the weekend teaching my GD and her mother how to use that machine and left feeling very frustrated! Once we figured out how to load and get the thread locked into the bobbin, the whole bobbin case would jump out of position creating a huge mess of thread! And leaving a 5 inch tail of thread off the needle wasn't long enough to keep it from pulling out of the needle! And you definitely had to hold the fabric to keep it going in a straight line! And it isn't heavy enough to stay in one place while you sew so someone had to hold the machine in place as she sewed. While this is a good thing while she is learning hopefully she will become good enough to sew by herself. And it is very noisy! Most company's make an introductory machine for around $100.00. The plus side is most give lessons on use and upkeep. And they will stand behind their product.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:46 PM

Dottie dodge, what machine were you using?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:54 PM

I so agree with buying a "real" machine for the grandkids. At age 9 my granddaughter is ready to sew by her self. She has been sewing since she was 4 but the toy one I bought for $40 was a waste of money. I bought her a refurbished Brother for $70. She came and got me one day because it sounded different.. The thread had popped out, probably because she started too fast, so you have time before they are ready to sew alone. You can find the 3/4 machines for a good price. Don't waste your money on a toy. I do have the Janome Hello Kitty for me and the kids to sew on at my house. I love it!