Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help: flannel, border, QAYG decisions on Log Cabin >

Need help: flannel, border, QAYG decisions on Log Cabin

Need help: flannel, border, QAYG decisions on Log Cabin

Old 11-13-2017, 07:32 AM

Default Need help: flannel, border, QAYG decisions on Log Cabin

Okay, so I have all my blocks sewn. I am really, really under the wire to finish this one by the 26th, if not sooner. 50th b'day gift for sis.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583815[/ATTACH]

I apologize outright for the poor picture quality, but I hope you can help anyway.

Here are the "givens" in this thing:

It's a sofa size. Blocks are 12.5". It's 4 rows x 6. Colors are red, brown, black, burnt orange, sage green, navy, assorted creams.

1. I'd like to try QAYG because of the size of this. I have a Janome 8200 with 11" throat. Anyone have a favorite method for doing that? Shoot me a youtube link, please.
2. I want to do flannel backing for coziness. What color and pattern type do you recommend? Avoid?
3. My sister has one gold colored dog (Malinois, 50 pounds) and 3 cats (all colors). So, hair and claws.
4. Does it need a border? If so, suggestions? Binding color?

Please feel free to answer any or all questions. I'm feeling overwhelmed by the decisions. This took a lot longer to piece than I'd anticipated. I got friendly with my seam ripper.
Attached Thumbnails img_3036.jpg  

Last edited by zozee; 11-13-2017 at 07:36 AM. Reason: forgot to add photo
Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 AM

I also have a Janome 8200, and I quilt everything on it, King size down to small table mats. You just have to take it slow and easy, anyhow I do. I love my Janome 8200.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
I also have a Janome 8200, and I quilt everything on it, King size down to small table mats. You just have to take it slow and easy, anyhow I do. I love my Janome 8200.
Oh, I’m sure I could do the quilting on the whole thing, but I think I’d rather manage smaller sections, like 4block sets?

Any ideas how to quilt this and what color thread?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I would quilt it with this technique:
https://www.candiedfabrics.com/2013/...ing-as-you-go/
Here is the link to her video tutorial on this method:
https://www.candiedfabrics.com/2014/...go-no-sashing/

Basically, she is quilting a large quilt in strips (rather than the 4-block sets you were thinking of).

Edit: She uses fusible batting. However, in part 2 of her video tutorial she explains how you could do it without using a fusible batting; requires an extra step.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-13-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

I have made several QAYG and really don't think they are any faster or easier. I have not done the method she did in the link above.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:34 AM

Never done QAYG so can't help at all with that part of your plan.

I don't think you need a border unless you want the quilt larger.

Flannel backing...if you can, I would go with Moda flannel. It is a nice thick cozy flannel and sews beautifully. As to color/pattern...my typical thought process is to hopefully find a fabric that has some/many of the same colors of the top incorporated into it. With the colors you have listed, they sound a bit 'fall-ish' to me so I think you should probably be able to get a really nice fabric for a good price right now since we are past 'fall'?? Perhaps a woodland or 'leaves' type fabric?? Backings are a great place (IMO) to use those really lovely large scale prints that you hate to cut.

Binding color...again - just my typical thought process...I usually try to pick a binding color that is one of the least used fabrics in the top so it helps that fabric 'pop' a bit more visually.

You're doing great with this quilt. You will make your deadline!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:35 AM

No border. Bind it in one of the reds? I would avoid flannel because of the animals.