Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with flying geese >

Need help with flying geese

Need help with flying geese

Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Termi
Originally Posted by humbird
No help with the geese, but I sur would like to see your avaitar up close and personal.
Thanks! My avatar doesn't have anything to do with sewing. They are Ukranian Easter eggs I did a couple years ago.
Yep, knew they were Ukranian Easter Eggs. Another of my favorite things! They are beautiful.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Termi
I'm embarrassed to admit this but I cannot for the life of me make flying geese that come out the right size. I'm very careful to cut the pieces the right size. I make a line from corner to corner on the square piece and sew on that line. I trim the corner off. I press very well, even use Best Press. I'm using a 70/10 needle and 60 weight thread. When I'm done, the two short ends are the same size but the middle where the point is is shorter. There's like a dip in the middle where the point is. I know you guys can help. Thanks!
Do you use the Best Press, before you cut the squares or after (when you are pressing your sewn seams)? You can have some shrinkage if it is when you are pressing the seam. BEEN THERE DONE THAT! Use Best Press when cutting the squares! Also make your seam 'scant', a thread or two from your drawn line (the cut-off side).

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by humbird
No help with the geese, but I sur would like to see your avaitar up close and personal.
Hold down Control and use wheel on mouse to enlarge it for you.
I'm afraid it's not that great of a picture. When I enlarge it it turns out very blurry.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Since you are using the snowball technique for your geese, and have now learned to sew slightly left of the drawn line to allow for the turn, try this tip, too.

Trim out ONLY the middle layer of the small square (not the corner of the background rectangle) leaving a 1/4” seam allowance.

The background rectangle is already correctly squared up, and that allows you to accurately match whatever adjoining segment comes next, if you haven’t trimmed it away.

Jan in VA
Thank you!! Trimming only the middle layer helped a lot. I now know 2 ways of making flying geese. Thanks everyone!