Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with flying geese >

Need help with flying geese

Need help with flying geese

Old 08-27-2011, 11:32 AM

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I cannot for the life of me make flying geese that come out the right size. I'm very careful to cut the pieces the right size. I make a line from corner to corner on the square piece and sew on that line. I trim the corner off. I press very well, even use Best Press. I'm using a 70/10 needle and 60 weight thread. When I'm done, the two short ends are the same size but the middle where the point is is shorter. There's like a dip in the middle where the point is. I know you guys can help. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 AM

Try this

http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf

rita

also when you sew on the drawn diagonal line, you should be just inside the line closest to corner to allow for fabric folding over
Old 08-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Maybe it would help to explain which method you're trying to use for the geese, what size you're trying to make, and how you're cutting your pieces. I'm confused that you're sewing on the diagonal line rather than on each side of it, but maybe that's correct with your method.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:38 PM

No help with the geese, but I sur would like to see your avaitar up close and personal.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:38 PM

No help with the geese, but I sur would like to see your avaitar up close and personal.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Maybe it would help to explain which method you're trying to use for the geese, what size you're trying to make, and how you're cutting your pieces. I'm confused that you're sewing on the diagonal line rather than on each side of it, but maybe that's correct with your method.
This method makes just one flying geese. I make a rectangle 6 1/2" by 3 1/2". Then I make two squares, each measuring 3 1/2" square. I draw a line corner to corner on the square, place it on one side of the rectangle right sides together and sew along the line. Then cut off the corner 1/4" away from the stitched edge and press to one side. Repeat on other side of rectangle.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
Thanks! My avatar doesn't have anything to do with sewing. They are Ukranian Easter eggs I did a couple years ago.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ritamaew
Try this

http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf

rita

also when you sew on the drawn diagonal line, you should be just inside the line closest to corner to allow for fabric folding over
Thank you for letting me know to sew a little to the left of the stitched line. :thumbup:
Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
Hold down Control and use wheel on mouse to enlarge it for you.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Since you are using the snowball technique for your geese, and have now learned to sew slightly left of the drawn line to allow for the turn, try this tip, too.

Trim out ONLY the middle layer of the small square (not the corner of the background rectangle) leaving a 1/4” seam allowance.

The background rectangle is already correctly squared up, and that allows you to accurately match whatever adjoining segment comes next, if you haven’t trimmed it away.

Jan in VA