Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with Idea >

Need help with Idea

Need help with Idea

Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM

If the actual colors are fairly represented online, I worry that the two fabrics are so different from one another.

If that's the case (and seeing as how you have 3 yards of each), I'd consider doing a One Block Wonder (OBW). I think the two fabrics have just enough color in common that you could organize the resulting blocks into a stunning display where you transition from the one color scheme to the other.

Of course, be sure to find a place on the quilt to show each of the original fabrics - borders, backing, etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Turning 20 or even better disappearing 9 patch here is a link http://sewwonderful.blogspot.com/201...o-9-patch.html
Old 07-02-2011, 05:00 PM

If you are doing a quilt about 45" square I would use my favorite "Speedy Baby Quilt II".

http://schoolgirlsamplers.com/pdftut...peedyBaby2.pdf

The 16 1/2" center square would be great for the dolphins, maybe a blue batik for the 1st border, and pick up the different colors in the 5" charm squares. The sand and sea shells would be great for the outside border and use the dolphin fabric again for the corner squares.

I hope you show pictures after you decide and finish it.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the link

Originally Posted by quiltnmore
If you are doing a quilt about 45" square I would use my favorite "Speedy Baby Quilt II".

http://schoolgirlsamplers.com/pdftut...peedyBaby2.pdf

The 16 1/2" center square would be great for the dolphins, maybe a blue batik for the 1st border, and pick up the different colors in the 5" charm squares. The sand and sea shells would be great for the outside border and use the dolphin fabric again for the corner squares.

I hope you show pictures after you decide and finish it.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 AM

If you do a snowball or something, you can fussy cut the blue ocean fabric and it will almost look like portholes in a ship - and you can use the seashells all around like a border and sashing between the rows. That's what I would do. It's screaming to me to be a window quilt of some sort but now an attic window. You need to do more like portholes.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 AM

Why not make a simple block pattern in batiks of blue-greens and then applique the motifs from the first fabric onto it. Use the second fabric as the border. A sort of sandy beach next to the sea type of coloring with the beige/warm tone bordering the blue-green ocean appliqued center. That way all the emphasis would be upon the theme and motif of your fabrics and the pattern of the quilt would be secondary and stay in the background.