Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with ideas for AUTISM QUILT >

Need help with ideas for AUTISM QUILT

Need help with ideas for AUTISM QUILT

Old 09-13-2011, 04:44 PM

I know a fair amount about autism in theory yet precious little about what a child with autism might like or benefit from. Would an "I Spy" quilt be helpful?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned

I have the cutest quilt design that looks like puzzles pieces.
As far as the quilt....it all depends. I have a son with aspergers ( which is on the spectrum)
They love tactile fabrics. A variety would be good. However if it's just about awareness you can use the puzzle pieces. If you want to earn lots of money you may just make a quilt that appeals to everyone....in everyday colors. ....idk? Just a thought.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
I have the cutest quilt design that looks like puzzles pieces.
As far as the quilt....it all depends. I have a son with aspergers ( which is on the spectrum)
They love tactile fabrics. A variety would be good. However if it's just about awareness you can use the puzzle pieces. If you want to earn lots of money you may just make a quilt that appeals to everyone....in everyday colors. ....idk? Just a thought.
I also think that the puzzle pieces would be a good pattern for a child with autism. I also have a son with Aspergers, Charismah. My son has very definite tactile sensitivities. He can't stand the sensation of polar fleece, but likes flannel. I'm sure this is a very individualistic kind of thing. When he feels certain fabrics, you can see him cringe. My son is 21 and they don't outgrow this.

Linda
Old 09-14-2011, 03:34 AM

As already mentioned the puzzle pieces would be great whether it is an autism awareness quilt or one for an autistic child.
If it is for an autistic child I can tell you what DGS likes - which does not mean all autistic kids would like the same. He likes fleece, flannel, silky (really likes this because it is both cool and smooth), leather or vinyl, suede, bright colors, puzzles, anything with wheels, cuddly things, no tags in the neck of his shirts to poke him, things to chew on, letters, numbers, words, pictures, repetition.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 AM

I have a nephew with autism. I saw an article a while back in one of the magazines (cant remember where), from someone who was stuffing them with little crystal-like bags of stuffing. They said it stimulated them and they were comforted by them. Sorry, cant remember much about it, but wonder if anyone else read that article.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM

my son has a weighted blanket and the extra weight helps him fall asleep. it is quilted in squares so each square has a few weights in it. you can use small galvanized steall washers or ceramic beads. his has some kind of plastic fill in it but i would probably avoid that because it is small enough that he can work them out of the fabric and i feel like i am always picking them up. he also likes his blanky 'soft' so it is flannel on the bottom. depending on how old the child is they may like to have little buttons with texture sewn onto it as well or little tabs to fiddle with. to know how much weight is the max it is 10% body weight plus 2 lbs so a child of 40 lbs should not have more than 6lbs. quilting each filled pocket fairly small will keep the weight from shifting too.