Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with ironing board cover >

Need help with ironing board cover

Need help with ironing board cover

Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Good idea, Onebyone!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM

I agree. Use MDF board on top of the dresser. You may also want to put felt between the dresser and the MDF board so as not to mar the dresser top accidentally.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:37 AM

Mine is MDF board, 1 layer of 100% cotton, & 100% cotton canvas stapled onto the MDF. I dampened the canvas before attaching so I could get maximum stretch and it would stay taught on the MDF. I attached it to a dresser with tacky putty so its removable.

I also made a 2nd canvas cover w/velcro so I can pull it off and wash it. My mom used the ironing board cover and is having a terrible time once it gets starch all over it. I also find that the canvas "grips" your fabric a bit when pressing and decreases the distortion of blocks. I prefer the hardness of the one layer of batting, as I found that it lessens distortion as well...just my experience
Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 AM

Someone on another thread mentioned that foil might reflect too much heat back up, raising the chance of burning fabric.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM

I think using a towel would make it too 'spring-y' to get a good press. 2 layers of Warm and Natural would be better.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 PM

I made a portable pressing table from a Walmart wooden TV table. I used two layers of W&N batting, one layer of insulbrite, the silver teflon fabric, then used 100% cotton pillow ticking for the top. The silver teflon fabric reflects the heat back up to the iron, so basically you are pressing both sides of your fabric at one time. But that does tend to make the top get very hot. Also, I made the pillow ticking top removable, so I can pull it off and throw it in the washer when I get too heavy handed with the spray starch.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Thanks, everyone. I ended up using two layers of W&N, then the silver teflon fabric, and then cotton. I have a feeling I'm going to eventually wish I'd used the MDF board on top, but I started stapling late last night and of course I wanted instant gratification. I'll keep a close eye on the top and if it starts showing some damage, I'll get the MDF board and re-do it. The dresser is a couple of inches higher than I would have liked and I didn't want to add another inch to it.