Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with ironing board cover >

Need help with ironing board cover

Need help with ironing board cover

Old 02-16-2014, 05:38 PM

Default Need help with ironing board cover

I'm in the process of turning a dresser into an ironing station. Should I use one or two layers of batting first, then silver cloth, then any cotton? I assume Warm & Natural will work for the batting.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:47 PM

I covered a piece of MDF to make a pressing board, and i covered it with a towel and then W&N batting to keep heat and steam from warping the board. Someone here made a new cover for her ironing board and used actual ironing board cover fabric she got at Joann's. Mine is topped with regular cotton fabric.

My new quilting room is under construction, and I'm excited to have a really big ironing station - good luck!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Mine just has 2 layers of cotton batting and then cotton fabric and has worked very well. But then I am not doing that much ironing at any given time that would get the plywood damp.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Thanks, Onetomatoplant. If I use a towel first, I would probably only need one layer of batting. I happened to already have some ironing board cover fabric, so I'll put that on next.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:55 PM

I rarely use steam when I'm making quilts, but I often use spray starch, so I guess the dampness could be an issue, quiltingcandy. The silver ironing fabric should take care of that.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 PM

I would use a piece of MDF to make an ironing top for your dresser. Eventually just the heat from ironing will warp the top of the dresser.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 AM

I have an ironing pad I made to fit my cutting table. I used one layer of warm & natural and one layer of insul brite, plus the silver fabric on top (regular fabric on the back). It works great but it does get hot underneath, and strangely (since I don't use steam and rarely use water), wet underneath. I'm in the process of covering a board for an ironing table and am planning to just use one layer of insul brite (some say not to use it but I've noticed improved pressing with it) and twill fabric since it's going on what is going to be a permanent ironing board rather than just being a pad.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:06 AM

In a smaller version I took a $10.00 oak folding tray from Wal-Mart and covered it with 2 layers of Quilters Dream Deluxe Batting. It is heavier than the Select weight and I would assume heavier than the Warm and Natural. Then I put on a layer of cotton duck and stapled it to the bottom. It goes with me whenever I go sewing. I don't think the "silver" stuff would be necessary.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
I covered a piece of MDF to make a pressing board, and i covered it with a towel and then W&N batting to keep heat and steam from warping the board. Someone here made a new cover for her ironing board and used actual ironing board cover fabric she got at Joann's. Mine is topped with regular cotton fabric.

My new quilting room is under construction, and I'm excited to have a really big ironing station - good luck!
Thanks for the idea of using a dresser. I have a perfect size in the basement. At one time, the dresser was going to get turned into a bathroom vanity, but i've changed my mind. Was wondering what i was going to do w/ the dresser.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

A layer of heavy duty foil under the batting will keep the damp from the wood. Remember, the softer the pressing surface the more distortion of fabric when pressing.