Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help learning to free motion on a Singer 401 anybody? >

Need help learning to free motion on a Singer 401 anybody?

Need help learning to free motion on a Singer 401 anybody?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
You are on the right track and like the other posters say, and practice, practice, practice!!!!
I am sure I will have to practice a lot because so far, my FMQ looks like it was done by someone who was intoxicated :)
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM

I have found some tools that really help. Quilter's gloves with the little gripper dots, extension table and the Supreme Slider really help me. Practice, Practice , Practice............Key words. Don't give up, it will get easier and you will love it. :thumbup:
Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 PM

On the 401A to free motion, you can not lower the feed dogs, instead you use the lever on the front right bed of the machine to RAISE the throat plate above the dogs. It will say "Throat Plate Position" use the UP position. If I am doing a meander stitch, I used the #3 red lever setting, put on a darning foot and go. I keep like a scrap sandwich close by and start each session by doing a run or so on it. Just to get the hands and a good flow going. I think puzzle pieces, dog bones, waves, comma strokes, waves with circles in them like a scroll, just anything, the quilt police does not know where I live...
so I do what I want.
Many of my practice pieces wind up as potholders in my kitchen... another thing if you want a more designed look, use a pencil and paper and draw what you want it to look like, then practice on that paper with just your needle and no thread in machine..
Now I can never duplicate what I draw so I make a copy and if I like it have been known to make several and use them on my small projects, then tear off.. what ever works for you... don't be afraid to experiment...
Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
it takes practice=practice=practice...all the bells & whistles in the world will not (make you) free motion quilt well- the only thing that will---is practice
I recently heard that it takes an average of 12 hours of practice.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 PM

Thanks tnjacke for the information and encouragement. I need all I can get! I like all your ideas and am eager to try a pattern on paper. I had not thought of that.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
Originally Posted by ckcowl
it takes practice=practice=practice...all the bells & whistles in the world will not (make you) free motion quilt well- the only thing that will---is practice
I recently heard that it takes an average of 12 hours of practice.
At this point, I hope 12 hours is all it takes! I did however feel a tiny bit of progress after one hour, so maybe there is hope :)
Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 AM

i have a 401 and it is machine i do all of my sewing on but i do free motion quilting on my 15-91 i set all of machines up for certain things so i go from machine to machine depending on what i am doing but I cant see any reason why a 401 wouldnt do what you want that is my favorite machine i have two of them drop the feed and put a darning foot on and go for it practice is the best advise happy sewing
Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by iamsogone
i have a 401 and it is machine i do all of my sewing on but i do free motion quilting on my 15-91 i set all of machines up for certain things so i go from machine to machine depending on what i am doing but I cant see any reason why a 401 wouldnt do what you want that is my favorite machine i have two of them drop the feed and put a darning foot on and go for it practice is the best advise happy sewing
Don't you just love the 401? I love mine, but wasn't sure if I could FMQ on it. I know now you can, but I have a lot of practicing to do before I feel accomplished enough to actually quilt something. I will start with a potholder after I get enough practice.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by tnjacke
On the 401A to free motion, you can not lower the feed dogs, instead you use the lever on the front right bed of the machine to RAISE the throat plate above the dogs. It will say "Throat Plate Position" use the UP position. If I am doing a meander stitch, I used the #3 red lever setting, put on a darning foot and go. I keep like a scrap sandwich close by and start each session by doing a run or so on it. Just to get the hands and a good flow going. I think puzzle pieces, dog bones, waves, comma strokes, waves with circles in them like a scroll, just anything, the quilt police does not know where I live...
so I do what I want.
Many of my practice pieces wind up as potholders in my kitchen... another thing if you want a more designed look, use a pencil and paper and draw what you want it to look like, then practice on that paper with just your needle and no thread in machine..
Now I can never duplicate what I draw so I make a copy and if I like it have been known to make several and use them on my small projects, then tear off.. what ever works for you... don't be afraid to experiment...
I am still working on FMQ on my 401, but one thing I do also is to adjust the pressure on the pressure foot so I can move the material around more freely.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 AM

I am still working on FMQ on my 401, but one thing I do also is to adjust the pressure on the pressure foot so I can move the material around more freely.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip!