Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help learning to free motion on a Singer 401 anybody? >

Need help learning to free motion on a Singer 401 anybody?

Need help learning to free motion on a Singer 401 anybody?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:31 AM

Hi. I am a newbie but have been reading the board for about a year. I also wanted to learn FNQ but every time I tried I would tighten up like a spring on a over wound clock. I saw a cd in a catalog by Judy Hansen. Free-Motion Machine Quilting Class for newbies. I didn't order it because I live about 25 miles from her shop. I went up there and bought it. (about $26 to $28 with Flordia tax. I watched the cd and then went to my sewing machine and did what she said. It wasn't perfect but it better than I have ever done before. I have only done SIAD or straight stitching on quilts. She has a web site - Quilt Shop of Deland.com. and I think you can order it from the web site. :)
Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 AM

if you put a block of wood next to the pedal so that you can "floor it" and only be going half speed THEN you only have moving the fabric as a variable. Also try writing your name every once in a while you will SEE your progress. Have fun, IMO FMQ is the greatest
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
if you put a block of wood next to the pedal so that you can "floor it" and only be going half speed THEN you only have moving the fabric as a variable.
This is great advice!!

Does the 401 have a vertical or horizontal bobbin? I've read that it is easier to free motion quilt on a machine with a vertical bobbin because of how the thread has to make the trip around the hook to make each individual stitch.

Here is an awesome video showing how Tsunami survivors are making Laga purses (to earn money) free motion quilting them on treadle machines!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tcy2dse68M

Towards the end of the video you can see the beautiful purses that they design with their FMQ
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Does the 401 have a vertical or horizontal bobbin? I've read that it is easier to free motion quilt on a machine with a vertical bobbin because of how the thread has to make the trip around the hook to make each individual stitch.

Here is an awesome video showing how Tsunami survivors are making Laga purses (to earn money) free motion quilting them on treadle machines!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tcy2dse68M

It has a horizontal bobbin. Thanks for the video link. That is some really special work, and to think it is on a treadle machine! The purses are beautiful. I wish I had that much talent.

Towards the end of the video you can see the beautiful purses that they design with their FMQ[/quote]
Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
if you put a block of wood next to the pedal so that you can "floor it" and only be going half speed THEN you only have moving the fabric as a variable. Also try writing your name every once in a while you will SEE your progress. Have fun, IMO FMQ is the greatest
Good idea! That's a new one for me. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM

I have a Singer 401 and haven't had any luck FMQ on it. I use my 15-91's, 201-2-s, Necchi Bu Supernova. I have a Singer 404 which free motions really well, also...don't know why I can't get the 401 to work. Maybe others on the Board has had luck with the 401 and can give us some advice.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 AM

[quote=tnjacke]On the 401A to free motion, you can not lower the feed dogs, instead you use the lever on the front right bed of the machine to RAISE the throat plate above the dogs. It will say "Throat Plate Position" use the UP position. If I am doing a meander stitch, I used the #3 red lever setting, put on a darning foot and go.

401A QUESTION: Do you mean you can proceed to fmq with the throat plate in the UP position? and the throat plate doesn't wobble or tilt back & forth?
I've done fmq on my 401A (which I love) but I put cardstock over the feed dogs since they can't be lowered......
Thanks for the info you've already supplied; hope my question is clear because I don't like having to tape cardstock over the feed dogs and use the hole cut in it to stitch through.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 AM

[quote=postal packin' mama]
Originally Posted by tnjacke
On the 401A to free motion, you can not lower the feed dogs, instead you use the lever on the front right bed of the machine to RAISE the throat plate above the dogs. It will say "Throat Plate Position" use the UP position. If I am doing a meander stitch, I used the #3 red lever setting, put on a darning foot and go.

401A QUESTION: Do you mean you can proceed to fmq with the throat plate in the UP position? and the throat plate doesn't wobble or tilt back & forth?
I've done fmq on my 401A (which I love) but I put cardstock over the feed dogs since they can't be lowered......
Thanks for the info you've already supplied; hope my question is clear because I don't like having to tape cardstock over the feed dogs and use the hole cut in it to stitch through.
Yes, the 400's and 500's have a lever on the right side that raises the needle plate above the feed dogs...instead of lowering the feed dogs, you raise the needle plate.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm still at the chicken feet stage on my FMQ on my 401. It's a nice machine, but I've found my Featherweight (which has the vertical bobbin) to do a better job.

I'm really interested to read about all of these issues because it was my intent to use my Featherweight for piecing and my 401 for FMQ, instead of the other way around, so I could take advantage of all of the built in stitches.

Where do you adjust the pressure on the pressure foot? Mine seems to be set way down and it would be helpful to adjust it back. I've read the manual that came with the machine, but I don't remember anything about the pressure foot regulation.

Every bit of info helps me do a better job on FMQ on that machine!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Yes, On the 401 A, the throat plate or needle plate raises to just above the feed dogs.. by using the UP position it is still locked on the machine, you have to move the lever all the way left to unlock the plate.. I have been sewing on the 401A since 1960 or 1961 when I got my first one, I now have a second one for back up.
I have never had to adjust the pressure foot pressure for FMQ as my free motion foot does NOT touch the fabric, it is like 1/8 above the fabric so it does not interfere with the moving of the material.
I actually have 6 Singer Machines in all. Treadle, featherweight from 1952 ( my 11th birthday present) 2 of 401A, ( free motion on it) Singer Golden Touch & Sew 750, Singer Confidence Quilter 7469 (which I use daily now) I also have my Bernina 1630 which I loved for Heirloom sewing.