Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help making laptop quilted bag >

need help making laptop quilted bag

need help making laptop quilted bag

Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Banned

sounds like you saw my design. I measured the laptop and it will fit almost snug. It will have 2 layers of thick cotton batting or fleece, a big pocket in the front for extras and straps that go all the way around for the extra strength. my laptop is 6 1/2 pounds so I figure it would need to be sturdy. I was even thinking about adding a layer of interfacing in the inside but not sure yet. I figure the first one may suck but at least then I know what not to do :-)
Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Oh, thequiltmamma, the one I made is in Texas. LOL. Sorry.

Another thought would be just a tote bag ( you can make quilt blocks to fit the exterior front and back) than pad the heck out of it with maybe 3 layers of warm and natural. Make a flap and use velcro and make your handles go all the way around the bag not just sewn in the top seam. Just my thought, don't know how fancy you want to get.:)
Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Take a look at this thread. There are several links to sites with bags, purses and totes.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-98770-1.htm#2499602
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 AM

I'm going to make a pretty one someday for me. Right now I have a 17 inch laptop and am using a wonderful bag that my hubby received at a conference he went to. It has many zippered pockets and a padded interior pocket for the laptop itself. I'm just afraid it will never wear out!!! With being between 2 houses for the last 6 months it has been my home office! Post your bag when you're finished.:)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Banned

I'm going to make one, too. I bought some headliner foam at Joann's to try. I hope it's hefty enough.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

definitely...now to just find the time to sew :-)
Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I'm going to make a pretty one someday for me. Right now I have a 17 inch laptop and am using a wonderful bag that my hubby received at a conference he went to. It has many zippered pockets and a padded interior pocket for the laptop itself. I'm just afraid it will never wear out!!! With being between 2 houses for the last 6 months it has been my home office! Post your bag when you're finished.:)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM

heres a site to check out.

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/477...aptop-in-style
Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 PM

I made a " Large messenger bag" from the All People Quilt site. They have free patterns for bags. I made it originally to carry cross shoulder at the Road to Calif. show for all my purchases. Last weekend we went out of town and I discovered this quilted bag was just the perfect size for my laptop and accessories. I used velcro for my closures and attached two pockets inside for misc. I am getting ready to make another for a friend who say mine and wants one for her laptop.

Here is the site.....hope I attached this right.
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...terns_ss7.html

I did make mine bigger so it measures 18x14 and I made a larger strap since I wanted it to go across my shoulder. It would be plenty big enough for a 17" laptop.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

do you have any pics of the one you made?
Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
I made a " Large messenger bag" from the All People Quilt site. They have free patterns for bags. I made it originally to carry cross shoulder at the Road to Calif. show for all my purchases. Last weekend we went out of town and I discovered this quilted bag was just the perfect size for my laptop and accessories. I used velcro for my closures and attached two pockets inside for misc. I am getting ready to make another for a friend who say mine and wants one for her laptop.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
do you have any pics of the one you made?
No pics, sorry but as soon as hubby gets home with the camera I can take a pic and post it.

Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 PM

I made a quilted bag for a netbook, but wanted something to protect it from bangs. I cut two pieces of foam core board (One dollar at the Dollar Tree, or more from art store) a little bigger than the netbook to slide inside the bag. I added a large inside pocket for the cords and accessories, and close the flap with velcro.