Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with my Brother >

Need Help with my Brother

Need Help with my Brother

Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Default Need Help with my Brother

I have a 2 yr old Brother that has been used very little. It is the Project Runway version. I got it out for my grandson to use and couldn't get it to sew a seam. It won't catch the bobbin in the bottom I think. I rethreaded it several times. It was on 5 for tension and I keep my singer on 3. So I tried changing that to 3. No differant. The top thread is showing in the fabric but the bottom thread is not catching in the top thread. It is pulled out right and as far as I know the bobbin is in there right. I tried putting the bobbin in so the thread comes off the bobbin to the left and I also tried it to the right. Thought maybe I had it in wrong. I have used this machine and not had any problems with this. But it isn't my daily machine. Just use it once in awhile.

I am not good with computerized machines as I don't have any knowledge on how they work. I would like to be able to use this one tho when the grands come.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM

My Brother bobbin has a idiosyncrasy tic, it only want to have the bobbin thread come over the bobbin on the LEFT side. If it gets off of the area it does not sew but makes a mess of the bobbin thread. It also likes the top thread and bottom thread to be the same.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 PM

I have the Project Runway PC420-got it a bit more than a year ago, and have had no problems. Make sure you have the right size bobbin for that machine and maybe you need to take out the bobbin casing and clean it out. I find if I do that (I use my machine ALLOT) every couple months (or sooner if I am using quite a bunch of fusible fleece, which I have been doing for purses), I am amazed at how much lint, tiny threads, etc comes out. I keep my tension at about 3 for general sewing/piecing. If you are sure you have the correct bobbin, and the bobbin thread is wound correctly, your needle is positioned correctly, and you have the thread correctly threaded, then my bet would be a thread/dust in the the shuttle or under the needle plate. Let us know if she cooperates after all that. Also, try changing the needle if it is an old one.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM

My first suggestion is that you put the bobbin case in wrong. I did this a while back and couldn't sew anything, so my advice would be to take the plate off, get you manual out, clean it and put it back together correctly, believe me I didn't think the order mattered as along as all the pieces were on but it does, also try a new needle. If that doesn't work than it may be your timing is off
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

thanks Pat and Jill I will check these things out. I have used it very little and it sits in it's original box on the shelf so I can't imagine why anything is differant this time than the last time I got it out for Joey. But I will spend some more time trouble shooting. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM

Look at your book and make sure you are threading the needle through the correct direction. I did that once and it wouldn't sew a stitch. I just assumed it threaded from left, but correct way was from right.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
My first suggestion is that you put the bobbin case in wrong. I did this a while back and couldn't sew anything, so my advice would be to take the plate off, get you manual out, clean it and put it back together correctly, believe me I didn't think the order mattered as along as all the pieces were on but it does, also try a new needle. If that doesn't work than it may be your timing is off
I've never taken the casing out so I don't think it can be that it is in wrong. I can clean it and try putting it back in right.

My grandson Joey used it a few months ago for a couple of hours other than that it hasn't been used. I played with it for about a half hour when I had it out for Joey trying out some of the stitches but that is about all. I don't use it so much as have it for a back up. We bought it brand new at Walmart 2 yrs ago. So the needle hasn't been used much and shouldn't need changing
Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Bobbins usually have to feed the thread "counterclockwise" Try to make sure that's the direction it's going in. Can you post a pic of the bobbin case? Also, does your Singer use clear bobbins like your Brother? I have mixed my bobbins up and depending on the model they are definitely different sizes!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
Look at your book and make sure you are threading the needle through the correct direction. I did that once and it wouldn't sew a stitch. I just assumed it threaded from left, but correct way was from right.
You might tak e alook at this as that is what happens with me on a different machine than I usually sew on.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM

My friend works at Walmart and says that Brothers get returned a lot because of tension problems. Possibly you got one of the bad ones. Check and see if Walmart will exchange it for you. If not, call Brother and explain the problem. They might give you a break on it.