Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with my Brother >

Need Help with my Brother

Need Help with my Brother

Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
You might tak e alook at this as that is what happens with me on a different machine than I usually sew on.
My needle threads from front to back. and there is a diagram on the top of the machine to show how to thread it correctly. Tho I have had those problems on my Singer. Til I wised up and got it in my head how the thread had to go.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM

Is the needle inserted correctly and is there any chance the needle isn't inserted far enough or could have slipped down too far to catch the thread?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I would check the bobbin- if it is pulling correctly which should be from the left when you are trying to stitch you should see the thread come across the top of the bobbin- if it is NOT then the bobbin isn't in correctly - also for whatever reason Brothers like the thread on top to feed from the front of the spool , not the back - Keep us posted
Old 02-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Banned

I would check the bobbin and bobbin casing as well. My brother top tension is usually set between 3 an 4. And perhaps make sure that joey didn't put a singer bobbin in the brother machine
Old 02-13-2012, 04:12 PM

make sure you have the right bobbin. my singer bobbin will not work in my brother there is only a tiny bit of difference in the size but it does matter I also threaded mine one time with the foot down and it would not sew. If you have never taken the bobbin case out it might be time to i take mine out every few months and clean it all good, hope you get it sewing
Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM

I've run into this problem when I used a purchased prewound bobbin. As others have said- be sure you have a good bobbin, or try starting with a freshly wound one. Rethread the machine and insert the correct size bobbin with it unspooling on the left side. If this doesn't work- take out the bobbin holder being Sure you will reinsert it in the right orientation. My 6000i manual is useless for this- no pic of the proper orientation. It is amazing how much lint can accumulate Behind the bobbin holder! My tension is usually about 3 1/2. Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM

Is the bobbin tensioning correct? I don't even remember my Mom telling me about bobbin tensioning - so many years ago - when she was attempting to teach me to sew. (I probably wasn't listening...) The manual that came with your machine should explain how to correctly tension the bobbin, or you can look it up on line. Knowing how to set the bobbin tension solves so many problems.

Also suggest that you follow all the other recommendations, as I've had those things happen, too!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM

Where did you buy this Brother? I sure hope you didn't buy it from a big box store like Walmart or on line. If you got it from a dealer, take it back and they will fix it immediately and explain what is wrong. That's why we buy from them.Otherwise contact the company.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Where did you buy this Brother? I sure hope you didn't buy it from a big box store like Walmart or on line. If you got it from a dealer, take it back and they will fix it immediately and explain what is wrong. That's why we buy from them.Otherwise contact the company.
We bought it from Walmart. It was only $100 so not a big investment. It wasn't my choice but my DH bought it for him to hem some pants and then for the kids to use. So it isn't a big deal if it doesn't work. I do have other machines but this is the only new one I have. The others are all vintage or just plain old! LOL I dont' quilt with it. Just would like to have it work for the grands to use when they are here so they aren't in my space.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM

The first thing I would try is to try a different bobbin. If that doesn't work, I would take out the bobbin case and clean. Doesn't take much sewing to get a lot of lint in them.