Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters >

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Old 05-02-2011, 06:58 AM

window treatments might help a little when the sun hits that side of the house -- window film, shades that repel/reflect sun heat, drapes/blinds -- inside, ceiling and even floor fans-- I have noticed that my iron is a real heat source -- moving it to another room as it cools might even help -- summertime is a real challenge southward
Old 05-02-2011, 07:18 AM

Oh, you need a design wall! Just kidding, kinda.
the foam core insulation boards (they are sometimes light blue in color) are a good form of insulation. I know you have the room already painted, etc., but I would add this board (you can use screws/nails or even a dot of glue in several places around the outside of each board, then tape the joints with the plastic tape meant for that purpose. I'd at least do the wall that is part of the garage wall...the garage is probably not well insulated. I know the light from those windows is woderful, but a film over them to block the sun's rays will make a big difference, and you will still be able to see outside. Even a light color, uv blocking drape would help...but I like being able to view the outside...so, would go for the film.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 AM

You can also do the screens with the dark screening.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 AM

When piecing I use a Clover mini-iron to press my seams; only turn the big iron on when absolutely necessary. I replaced my incandescent light bulbs with florescent (curly Q) bulbs. I didn't have to do it, but you might add foam insulation panels (about $7 each) inside your room against the outside walls. They are for insulation, but they make a great design wall/pin board/whatever board. Each sheet is 4x8 ft and you can install cabinets or shelves on top of them. That will accomplish the same thing as your AC guy is telling you to do, but won't break the bank.

The foam panel I bought for my design wall is white and came from Lowes.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 AM

The do make a stand alone unit that you just put somewhere by a window. There is a hose similar to a dryer vent hose that would need to be put outside the window. I think this is more to blow out hot air than carbon monoxide or anything. They build up water that needs to be poured out periodically but they really work well.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Put a small unit in a customized hole in the wall.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 AM

If you have plenty of airflow, adding a window unit really won't help to much. It will just use up more electricity and add to your electric bill. Western exposure is the hot side, not southern. Closing curtains or shades cuts out A LOT of (window) heat. Insulating the wall between the garage and your sewing room would help a ton! Yes expensive, but will really pay off in the long run. Also change to florescent light bulbs will cut down on the heat that comes from lights. I'm sure most of your heat is coming from the windows and the garage attic.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Where do you have your fan? If you position several fans pointing towards your sewing room, they should draw the cool air from the rest of the house into your room. I have to do this on occasion, because my sewing room/office can get much warmer. I keep the doors wide open and position a fan in the hall, and it helps.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 AM

I have a vortex fan that I keep directly on my body and it makes even a hot California summer day OK. One does have to shift it when going from the ironing board to the sewing machine to the cutting board, but I give it a tap with my foot as I go by and that shifts it. I learned to do this in the tropics when I was working with books and papers....couldn't get my hand away from a paper because of the moisture!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 AM

In addition to those solutions I have a small fan on the side of the sewing machine so air hits me in the face. It helps a lot if the room is already somewhat cool. Must use the other suggestions along with this,