Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters >

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Old 05-03-2011, 05:30 PM

We got a Halcyon Fujitsu mini-split room air conditioner wall mounted type/heat and cool. Our room faces West with a whole wall of windows. It would get over 100 degrees in the summer. I found the company on the internet and started looking for a local dealer. It mounts on the interior wall and a 3" hole is drilled for the air-conditioner that stays outside on the ground. It is the best thing we could of done for that hot room. Look it up on the internet. It is pricey, but the cool room is worth the cost.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 PM

A fan can be put into the a/c ductwork to propel the cooled air to your studio. An air return in the room might also help. Good Luck from an also hot Florida quilter.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pat M.
We got a Halcyon Fujitsu mini-split room air conditioner wall mounted type/heat and cool. Our room faces West with a whole wall of windows. It would get over 100 degrees in the summer. I found the company on the internet and started looking for a local dealer. It mounts on the interior wall and a 3" hole is drilled for the air-conditioner that stays outside on the ground. It is the best thing we could of done for that hot room. Look it up on the internet. It is pricey, but the cool room is worth the cost.
I replied earlier because we also did a mini-split with heating capabilities. You don't have to get the heat pump feature if you don't need heat and I'm sure the a/c alone is less expensive. Actually, I'm not "sure" but it stand to reason.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:24 AM

My sewing room was always hot...would never be on level with the AC temperature....I turned the DIRECTION of the center fan...and the difference is AMAZING. Beside the fan casing is a black button that goes up or down....just reverse the direction of the button - and see.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:30 AM

A friend of mine years ago had this problem for an upstair room and she and her husband decided to have a room a/c permanently installed in the wall. It didn't look bad, could be turned off when she was out of that room, and cooled up quickly when she wanted to work in the room. Said it didn't seem to add a lot to the electric bill. Oh, her problem was that the room wasn't hooked up to the central air and the ac unit wasn't large enough to add duct work to that room.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 AM

Your solution sounds like it will work, but you might also check with your local utility company on rebates and stuff like that. A lot of times they are running special promotions and you can get some money back anyway to help.

And Teacherbailey is quite right all an AC unit puts out is hot air! It's a sealed system and keeps the coolant inside. Since light isn't an issue with you, blocking the window off will probably give you the most bang for the buck. In the South they tell you to keep the blinds closed during the hot part of the day and not to open up until it cools off. Still couldn't live here without AC, as far as I am concerned.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM

try putting window tint on them,you buy at home depot,walmart.My daughter did it to her front windows and it works.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Could you cut a hole in the wall facing the garage attic and put a window/wall unit in that? You would have to figure out how to drain the water that comes off the back of the unit, but you wouldn't be replacing windows.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by ruck9085
Me, I use a small window unit. We have the side by side windows, too, but DH opened one of the windows, set the unit in the window, then places plywood over the rest of the opening and used insulation to block any cracks. The unit works really well. I turn it on about thirty minutes before I start and by the time I go in, the room is comfortably cool. Give it shot. Oh, and the small unit only raised our light bill by about twenty bucks, well worth it, if you ask me.
That is what I did in my sewing room and bedroom. I bought one and my DH paid for the bedroom one. I am glad to have them. We have a big one in the lounge room since both the bedroom and lounge are on the west ( hottest side in Summertime.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:56 PM

We just put in a "motel" type combo heat and AC unit in my sewing room by cutting a hole in outside wall, building wall box, framing and reconnecting existing electricity. Cost about $1200 and works like a champ. I have windows like yours but didn't want my views blocked. The portable units have to be vented via window (accessory kit).