Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help for new sewer >

Need help for new sewer

Need help for new sewer

Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I love it that this thread was started back up.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 AM

Ok the Front is done and the back is done. The back has a block for everyone that helped with the project. Those that sent signiture blocks they are in there those that didn't we made one for you. She is now getting it on the quilting frames. She is going to try and get it done for the fair. She has already been looking at patterns for her next quilt. She is amazing and has picked up sewing very well. I think she is in it for life now thanks to all of you sweet ladies. I'll post pictures as she finishes the quilting. Thanks again to all of you wonderful quilt Angels out there!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-224826.jpe   attachment-224827.jpe  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Well it sure looks like Justeena met her goal to learn how to sew. Great job, Justeena, your quilt is beautiful. The back is very nice and a wonderful way to say thank you. Look forward to seeing more of your sewing. Good luck at the fair. Let us know if you win a ribbon.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 AM

Be happy to. Sending PM. Lovely to get another quilter started.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 AM

This was and still is a great story in the making. Thanks to you for helping her get started and keep going. Please let us know how she does in the fair.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM

looks great....good job with a great teacher!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by karielt
Ok need your help ladies....
I have taken a little gal from my neighborhood under my wing. She expressed a huge interest in learning how to make a quilt. She is 14 and in a program called “Young Women in Excellence”. In this program it teaches them to make goals and learn new skills. . She wants to learn how to sew and also learn about people who quilt and why they quilt. I thought this Board would be the perfect solution. If you would like to help me help her we have come up with something fun. If you had time would you send a 6 inch square of fabric or a couple if you can spare it and also write down on a piece of paper your name where your from and the reason or what got you started sewing and why you are still sewing. She is going to be keeping a scrapbook about her quilt as we build it. If you are interested please PM. She is so excited about this… Her name is Justeena.
I'm about as computer illiterate as a person can be. Do you want us to mail this to you the old fashioned way, in an envelope with a stamp on it? Or send a PM, whatever that is!
I'm confused!
I think this is so wonderful. I have 2 great nieces who are 9 and 10 years and I've been trying to talk them into learning how to sew or quilt. But, geez, I have to learn myself. I can cross stitch really well and crochet quite a bit. I've never quilted a thing in my life until now. I'm taking an applique class now. I suppose the girls and I will have to learn together, lol. Need your address in we are to mail them the old fashioned way. thanks, Patti
Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
I'd love to help, too, but I still don't understand the PM thing. I know how to click on the blue underlined name and get another thing to click on for a private message (haven't done it yet), but how do you get the person's address to mail the fabric? I know it can be real iffy to give out your personal mailing address to strangers (although I consider board members as friends), so I don't understand how this works. I can just imagine how thrilled this young girl is going to be, and I'd love to contribute.
Just send the pm saying you want to help and you will get a response with her addy when she replies to your pm.
That sounds easy enough! Thanks so much. I'll do it!
Ahhh, so that's what a p.m. is. I'll try it now.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

WooHoo! Justeena you did an awesome job!
Karie you need to take a Bow for being such a wonderful mentor to this young lady.
Can you hear my clapping??

If she ever needs more fabric please let us know. I'm sure we can keep her stocked up with what she needs.

Good luck at the fair!!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 PM

Great job Karie and Justeena. Hope this is the start of a lifelong passion.

As cjomomma said - if you need more fabric I would be happy to send another donation.