Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with Omnigrad mat >

Need help with Omnigrad mat

Need help with Omnigrad mat

Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 PM

Default Need help with Omnigrad mat

I just bought this Omnigrad mat, size 24 x 36 and when I took the wrapper off it had a real bad smell. ..I thought it would air out but after 5 days but it still smells bad. Has anyone had this happen to them?

I bought it at Joanna's but do you think they will refund my money just because it smells so bad?

I really don't know what to do Thanks
Old 05-18-2019, 09:29 PM

I would think Joann's would take it back if you have the receipt. I know there is a prior thread about it. Have you tried washing it with Dawn dish soap?
Old 05-19-2019, 01:27 AM

I noticed that some of the mats in the rotary cutter and mat area of Joann's were now wrapped in plastic. Wondered if it was because of the well known, long standing problem of that smell they have. That awful smell is common in cutting mats and in my experience impossible to get out. I would return rather than waste my time trying the numerous methods - washing with all kinds of soaps and detergents, soaking is baking soda, vinegar, airing outside - I know this because I tried all of the above and more to get rid of that smell from a mat. I even left it outside on my back porch for nearly 6 months and the smell was still so bad I could not stand it. Threw it away as it was way past the return window.
Return it and Good Luck!

Here is a link to a search of this forum for "cutting mat smells"
https://www.quiltingboard.com/search...rchid=14610208
Old 05-19-2019, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

I buy the Olfa mats... they have a strong odor. I felt the odor faded within a short time, though.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I bought a smelly one. I kept it "hidden" for over 2 years. It still smells some, but I have adjusted to the odor.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I won an Olfa folding mat. It was wrapped in plastic and very stinky. I put it in the attic and forgot about it until this post. LOL I'll go get it later and check it out.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I bought it at Joanna's but do you think they will refund my money just because it smells so bad?
It looks like they should with a receipt.

Knowing Murphy224's link would not work, I did my own search. Knowing that when you click on a link from the results will not show the actual text of the posts until you refresh the page, I looked at a few of them. One of them was Why do the Olfa cutting mats smell so bad? and reading through (after refreshing) I found a link to http://calibreart.com/ and then doing a search for 24x36 size on Amazon I found https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Cutti.../dp/B01BTFEMAI (Not affiliated with off-site links )

Another one I found and skimmed through was Help! How do you get the skunk smell out of the cutting mats?? at the end - page 4 - had a link to UPDATE on Getting the skunk smell out of cutting mats... which gives a solution that worked for Gladys.

Hope this helps. I think the QB links above should work without refreshing. Why it works from here but not from the "Search" box - I don't know.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-19-2019 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 05-19-2019, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

One article I read online said some mats are being manufactured using cheaper supplies causing major off gassing that gives the smell. Some may balk at the price of some brands of mats but they don't stink.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:27 AM

Several years ago, I bought a large Omnigrid cutting mat, and had the same problem. The odor was nauseating. I emailed the company to ask how long I could expect the mat to off-gas and they apologized, and sent me a new mat. Unfortunately, the new replacement mat they sent had the same odor. I threw both in the trash and bought an odor free Olfa mat.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 AM

The last one I bought smelled a bit like skunk. Either I adjusted to the smell, or it quit smelling- I've had it about a year now. Not sure when I stopped noticing a stink around it.

rob