Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help with optical illusion of carpenter star >

need help with optical illusion of carpenter star

need help with optical illusion of carpenter star

Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 AM

I have been looking at pictures of the Carpenter Star and really would like to try one for my husband.

1. there is an optical illusion created that looks like short 4 x 4s and 2 x 2s lumber. By using a different light color for the ones that create the 4 x 4, will that spoil the overall look or effect of the star?

2. Is this pattern called the Carpenter star because of this illusion?

Thanks for any help or if you have done one like that, would you post a picture?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by gwanma
I have been looking at pictures of the Carpenter Star and really would like to try one for my husband.

1. there is an optical illusion created that looks like short 4 x 4s and 2 x 2s lumber. By using a different light color for the ones that create the 4 x 4, will that spoil the overall look or effect of the star?
I'm not sure I'm "seeing" the spaces you're referencing - unless it's the background patches in between the 2 stars?

Anyway, as long as they are close in VALUE, you can use multiple fabrics.

Here's a link to a slew of CS pictures - you can see how different fabric selections affect the finished star:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=carpenter%27s+star+history+quilt&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=580&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for that link

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by gwanma

I'm not sure I'm "seeing" the spaces you're referencing - unless it's the background patches in between the 2 stars?

Anyway, as long as they are close in VALUE, you can use multiple fabrics.

Here's a link to a slew of CS pictures - you can see how different fabric selections affect the finished star:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=carpenter%27s+star+history+quilt&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=580&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi