Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with panel >

Need help with panel

Need help with panel

Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Thumbs down Need help with panel

Hi, everyone. I bought a panel to use for the middle of a baby quilt, and when I got it home, I thought it had been cut crooked. However, when I hung it on my design wall, I noticed that the reason why it was cut crooked was because it's printed crooked! The entire thing is crooked. It looks ok as far as the print not being distorted but now I'm not really sure how to square it up to make the panel usable. The only thing I can come up with would be to border it with black fabric (the background in the panel is black) and then square up the entire piece. Of course then, the border would look off.

Is this panel "fixable", or would you just skip the panel entirely? If I had known that there would be a problem with it, I wouldn't have bought it, but this particular quilt store pre-cuts all their panels and just pulls them out when you want to buy one. Next time I'll know to check it before I leave the store. But for now, is this panel salvageable at all?

TIA.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM

I am so glad you asked this question. I'm not sure how to fix it but I am looking forward to the ideas to come.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

You can try blocking it: Dampen it then pin it down, squaring it up as you go. If you have carpeting, that's a good place to do it. USE STAINLESS STEEL PINS! You don't want to have rust spots. When it's dry, it should remain square. The only caveat is if you wash it again, it will go back to it's original shape, so you will need to quilt this one heavily.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 AM

Just about every single panel is THAT way. I have done what you say and once the entire quilt is done---it is not very noticeable. We notice things because we are quilters and super picky about our own work.

I have also put a border around the panel and then square it up. Will see if I can find an example of that.
Attached Thumbnails 003-copy.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Could you use a wedge-shaped border? I did the sashing for a baby quilt made from a fabric book panel like that because they were not square. Make sense? Sorry don't have pics of that one!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 AM

I prewashed 4 panels of fairy flowers that had about 15 fairies per panel...I'll never prewash panels again. Each was wonky. I added borders and squared up each before adding to the quilt. It showed, but my 6-year-old granddaughter doesn't notice it and was thrilled with the quilt. With a larger center panel adding borders and squaring up shouldn't be quite as noticable as with smaller squares, unless it is way, way wonky.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

unfortunately more often than not panels are printed crooked- something about how the fabric rolls through- the process...very seldom will you find one that is actually straight- you can try to straighten it some- depending on how 'off' it is- you can tug on it holding diagonal corners (like top right, bottom left) stretching the bias, and pressing- sometimes that works, sometimes the best thing to do is either trim it square or frame it & square it- generally once you use it the wonkiness is not noticeable.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and replies. I guess this a very common problem, and it might preclude panels from my future quilting projects. That's a bit disappointing, isn't it, because there are some really cute panels out there.

Anyway, the print goes "off" about midway down and it's more than an inch off from that point to the bottom of the panel. I think what I'll do is just cut it apart (there are three "sections" to the panel) and use it to make a two-sided quilt. I'd also purchased a pack of 5" charm squares to use in the quilt so I'm just going to sew those together to make a square-ish top and then use the panel with some other fabric for the other side.

I think it will be VERY noticeable that the print is so far off, unless I put it off kilter in my design. Then, it might be less noticeable ... I hope ...
Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 AM

This is one of the main reasons I don't buy panels.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 AM

I bought some cheater fabric and none of the blocks are square - I bordered each block with another fabric then squared them. No one even notices the blocks aren't square. That is the issue with most panels and cheater blocks.