Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with a Pattern Selection >

Need Help with a Pattern Selection

Need Help with a Pattern Selection

Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM

I have done two king size bargello's and have the top done on another one. This last one is the double heart and would be beautiful as a wedding gift. I think any bargello would though!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:59 PM

Love the colors! I'm not too sure I have the patience (or time) for a double wedding ring, but will look forward to seeing yours.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM

I made this and it turned out great with green and purple.

Green and Purple Karen Combs Pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39606[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-39606.bmp  
Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 PM

Shikadee, Love the colors in your quilt, very pretty.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
I am getting a new DIL this year and would like to surprise the newlyweds with a quilt. Her favorite color is green and lots of it, but not a lime-color green. I was thinking of something with several shades of green with some purple worked in. Any suggestions for a pattern would be appreciated.
A triple rail looks good with this combination. One of my quilty friends made her daughter one for her wedding with greens and purples. It is a really beautiful quilt and she has made herself one as well with those same fabrics. Hope this helps. Chris
Old 01-28-2010, 08:22 PM

what about collecting batiks with green and purple? Or really any collection with green and something added in? I've been doing a bunch of scrappy quilts lately and there are some patterns which are quick and easy to do. I'm thinking the disappearing 9 patch or split decision or simply squared. The 9 patch uses charm squares and the others use 2 1/2" strips (or jelly rolls/bali pops). I guess a lot depends upon your future DIL and your son's taste...are they more contemporary or traditional? what's their "design style"?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I am getting a new DIL this year and would like to surprise the newlyweds with a quilt. Her favorite color is green and lots of it, but not a lime-color green. I was thinking of something with several shades of green with some purple worked in. Any suggestions for a pattern would be appreciated.
A triple rail looks good with this combination. One of my quilty friends made her daughter one for her wedding with greens and purples. It is a really beautiful quilt and she has made herself one as well with those same fabrics. Hope this helps. Chris

Thanks for your good suggestions. I sort of had a bargello in mind, but the split rail would also work great - don't know why I have to make this hard. Do you recall how many strips your friend used in her quilt? E-patterns has a pattern, Spring Garden Path, that I also had not thought of until you mentioned the split rail.

A floral quilt would be too "frilly." I would probably estimate the newlyweds taste as somewhere between contemporary and traditional.

Thanks again to everybody for great ideas. Love getting great feedback!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Thanks for your good suggestions. I sort of had a bargello in mind, but the split rail would also work great - don't know why I have to make this hard. Do you recall how many strips your friend used in her quilt? E-patterns has a pattern, Spring Garden Path, that I also had not thought of until you mentioned the split rail.

A floral quilt would be too "frilly." I would probably estimate the newlyweds taste as somewhere between contemporary and traditional.

Thanks again to everybody for great ideas. Love getting great feedback!
My friend used 5 colors but did have 6 strips since she used one color twice. I think she reused the purple so she had 4 greens and the one purple. The purple was the one that was continuous throughout the design. Her greens ranged from light to a medium dark with no florals at all and her purple was a tone on tone with a subtle floral pattern. Truly subtle floral b/c I had to look twice before I even saw the floral. It was beautiful. I think she put a border on it and the binding was just a dark solid purple (her daughter's choice) and I can't remember what the back looked like. I hope this helps you.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I have recently fallen in love with triple Irish chain, and it would certainly look wonderful with shades of green and a purple chain running through!!
yes, that would look nice
Old 01-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Here's what I made for my DIL for Christmas, she also loves greens! If you're interested, I'll look for the magazine that it was in. Originally, it was shown in Asian prints. You can be very flexible with the colors of the strips. It's very easy!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-53555.jpe