Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help picking fabric >

Need help picking fabric

Need help picking fabric

Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM

I'm not good at suggesting colors - it depends on personal taste, but I love the three you have already.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM

What you have is ok, but also need a darker blue and neutral color, along with a pink that is in the print material.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 AM

The green pictured may be a bit too "olive". Try something more in a teal, ad a dusty pink. It will be great.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 AM

I'd go with the light blue and add a dark blue, black and the cream. A darker green would look good also.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried a medium shade of blue and a charcoal gray?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I think your choice of navy and dark green would be excellent choices for a man. I DEFINITELy wouldn't add anything in the pink, mauve family for a man, not even every woman likes pink and most men don't like it, only put up with it.
Ditto
Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM

I have done qults with the middle fabric and I usually pulled the color from the pattern itself. I like the green for the blue in the quilt. I am sure you will get lots of help with this.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by CristyK1
I had not planed on using that green. But it was in the pic I pulled up and I don't have my camera or phone with me right now to take a new picture.

I'd like to stay away from pink since the quilt is going to a man. so I guess I need to find the Navy and dark green to use.

I'm gonna use a cream color for the back ground.

Sense its going to a guy, would he object to a dark burgandy? I love the quilt pattern, and the fabric is very nice!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM

I'd never add pink. Pink and blue went out with the 50's. If I were to add another color it would probably be green but so far it looks good just as it is.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Oooo, to add an opinion on color, are you sure?

Here it is:

I have made this pattern and did it in teals and pinks which turned out great.

When you do the fans, be sure to have a nice graduation of color and that when you line it up with the star that you do not have the same color touching there. I did the dark in the center top of fans and then down to light and had each blade a shade different. This will work with your focus fabric you have selected. If this is for a man, then you definitely do not really want the pink because it will pop next to your darkers that are in the mix. If it were me, I would stay in the blues from a dark blue to the charchol gray blue. It will accentuate your feature fabric.
Now since it is for a man, is he a real neat person or does he have an occupation that he gets dirty at job. If you do the cream, I would consider this. Again, if were me, i would make my background area a different color because of the "man" thing. Not all guys consider it to be a work of art on the bed.
This pattern does go together well and be sure to check your measurements as you go because of the special cutting on the background squares and peaks you have to do. This is where I had some difficulty with. I quilted mine in some feather fans for the background areas and in the ditch on pieced fans and a large feather over stars to fill the points out.

Have fun and let us see what you choose.