Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help please! Yards and yards of wet fabric >

Need help please! Yards and yards of wet fabric

Need help please! Yards and yards of wet fabric

Old 09-18-2010, 04:49 PM

ok it looks like you have them mildew/smell under control so I'm not going to address that but I will say what you need to do is check into a way to have the run off the water directed away from the basement walls/ house foundation. It will help with keeping the basement dry. You may have to dig around the whole foundation about 18 inch down and put in drain pipes (black drain pipes with holes in it) add gravel around it to help with water flow then cover the gravel with landscaping cloth, then back fill with dirt around the foundation so it slants away from the house. Most of the time when a basement has leakage is because the water stays against the walls with no where to go so it leaks through but if you can get it to drain away it doesn't stay long enough to seep through the walls.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:49 PM

if moisture repeatedly gets into the basement it will start to smell sour down there, just like mine does all summer, because i have no ventilation. i run my dehumidifier from may until september and i still can't stay in front of it. and i don't even get water down there! just mild dampness from new jersey clay. point being: rethink storing fabric there. if it's really the only space, get it into containers with ventilated tops, well off the floor. put some potpouri or lavender in the containers. keep something on hand to un-smell the basement when necessary.
smack that contractor. he should have warned you about water in basements. if you have windows try to keep them open. you might feel safer with bars or something. if you have a/c then run it. it takes moisture out of the air.
i hope you get ahead of this. dry everything as soon as possible, and get to the washing when you can. if it has to wait, it should wait dry. if you don't know what a fiber content is, or if something will bleed, use a color catcher or retayne. i always use retayne, but a lot of members here use the catchers. better safe than sorry. bad problem. sorry this happened to you.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 PM

Adding to the wonderful advice you already have, when you dry your fabric, put a bath towel in with it. The towel helps decrease the fabric twist and tangle.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Where in South Texas do you live? I also live in South Texas, Freeport. Located just south of Houston. If we are anywhere near each other, I'd love to help. I would be glad to take some home with me and wash and iron them. Clipping the corners will help some, putting the smaller pieces in a garment washing bag will help as well as the vinegar. Let me know what I can do.
Kathy (mammy) Mageors
Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM

I agree with everyone above but you might consider useing pinking shears to trim the edges before washing and adding the vinegar.Keep us posted!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:49 PM

All you can do in that South Texas humidity is wash and dry every fabric, even those that didn't seem to be wet, because mildew you do NOT need! Before washing, hold the ends of the fabric together and snip a small diagonal piece out of both corners. That will help to keep the fabric from fraying so badly. You'll still have some fraying, but not nearly as much as you would if you didn't do that. Be sure those fabrics are completely dry - bone dry - before you refold them. Bless your heart - I can really sympathize with you. But what kind of a builder would be insane enough to build a basement in South Texas, where if you dig down twelve inches, you have instant swimming pool? Keeriminy! He oughtta be sued!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
I would load it all into the car and drive to the nearest laundramat and utilize every machine they have to wash it all at once by color family. Throw a color catcher in every load and a cup of vinegar. then you will have the large folding tables to fold the fabric. Take your scissors with you so you can trim off the stringies as you fold it. It will be a good morning's work but will make your life so much easier than trying to do it a load at a time at home. Good luck, if you were nearby we would all help.
Great advice, all encapsulated in a short paragraph. I like your style!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 PM

Without reading all the posts, wash using Oxyclean and or vinegar. I use a non perfumed, non dye detergent because DD has chemical allergies.
After washing, do not put in dryer, hang dry. Putting in dryer may set the smells. Wash until no odors or mold are present (I know you said that had not happened, but believe me, it is there). You may have to do alot of ironong afterwards, but you can save your fabric. It is not ruined as long as you don't let it sit around wert for days and days.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:37 PM

I love the response by one of the board---just think of all the fun you will have saying "Hello !" to all those wonderful fabrics you might not have seen for a while. AND--your stash will be all sorted once more. But still sorry this has happened to you.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 PM

If you have a pair of pinking shears, you can pink the edges & they won't hardly ravel at all. You can leave the fabric folded & pink two layers at one time. Good luck!