Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Polyester.... >

Need Help with Polyester....

Need Help with Polyester....

Old 08-17-2011, 02:31 PM

3" stack, wow, that's a lot. cute fabric.

It's going to be a picnic quilt. You are concerned about fraying. What if you did your quilting using a deco stitch, espcially one that has "activity" both left & right, right along all the seams? Maybe even double needle. Even just double needle zigzag would be cute.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by MsMel
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Fabric content doesn't matter nearly as much as fabric type. Is it woven or some kind of knit? Polyester can be used in any type of fabric from fake satin to t-shirt knits to a woven fabric like quilt cotton.
It is woven....I opened a corner of the package to feel it and it feels like a hawaiian silky shirt....I am concerned with fraying it appears that it is going to fray easily, by the way the fabric edges look....Thanks for your input :)
That helps. At least you know you can use a regular needle. You might look for a stitch on your machine that looks like a straight stitch with a zigzag beside it. You could also take a pinking rotary blade or pinking scissors to them to cut down on the fraying. I would use some kind of pattern that doesn't require seams to like up. Something like a brick wall where the blocks are off set from each other would work well.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanks all....I sacrificed a square and cut it up and put it back together....I used a full 1/4 inch seam and while it was a bit wiggly (slick) to sew it is staying together just fine....thru test is I gave it to my 2 year old grandson to carry around for about 30 minutes and while the unsewn edges frayed the seams are fine :)