Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help in purchasing sewing machine >

need help in purchasing sewing machine

need help in purchasing sewing machine

Old 11-25-2011, 08:17 AM

You are a doll! My husband recently surprised me with my second Elna - it's called eXcellence. It has everything a quilter could need - all the features I loved about my first Elna, and more, plus so many feet, lots of stitches, and simply made for the quilter. The throat is 11", which is really a plus. I'll use my Elna 6003 for retreats, etc., since this one is made of metal and too heavy to tote around. The advantage is that there is a shop that sells and services, so finding a shop is paramount. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
There are many good brands out there, but not knowing anything about her intended usage, it makes it pretty difficult to recommend any particular machine. Different machines are intended for different purposes, with many different features.

You can spend anywhere from a few hundred dollars up to over 10 thousand for a machine.

My advice would be the same as a previous poster -- figure out how much you want to spend, then go to a reputable dealer and buy a gift card or gift certificate from them.
I agree with this one, I was looking at Brother's my hubby at the time thought he knew more than I and of course he didn't sew. He gave me a Janome 10001, I wouldn't change it for the world I love it. But I had to learn how to use it. I didn't care for the people who ran the shop and still don't. So I have a hard time going for classes, and always felt they were teaching him not me. Sooo..... my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Keep this in mind when you are considering the price of a machine. I've never met a sewing machine dealer that didn't haggle like a car salesman. I'm speaking from 50 years of sewing machine purchases. The price is always negotiable and so are all the "extras" they will throw in to make the sale.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:44 AM

OK, so I've read through all of the previous 43 responses and I've seen LOTS of great advice. I've been sewing on machines for over 60 years and have several - a Singer Athena 2000 (which refuses to break down/purchased in 1976); a Singer Featherweight (inherited from my mother/purchased in the 50s); a Bernina 170 (sewing and emboidery machine/purchased from a quilter friend who was upgrading and I coveted a Bernina); and an Elna 7200 (also purchased from a quilter friend who just wasn't using it because she had an embroidery machine and a Janome Jem and found she only used those). Now, those second hand purchases were fantastic bargains - so I'm lucky to be able to reserve the Bernina for embroidery and use the Elna for sewing and quilting. I've been told that Elna is actually made by Janome and has that same quality. Here is my thought. There is a machine known as HQ 16 which is a Handiquilter sit down long arm machine that is on the market in the $5000 range. That would likely knock the socks off of any quilter who doesn't already own a long arm. I would recommend that you give some thought to that along with the ideas about buying locally, etc. She could have a long arm quilting machine for the same - or less - money than a high-end sewing machine. I think we are all dying to know what actually happens here so please do tell. And, have a great Christmas at your house! Ciao!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:23 PM

Hi
If you have the money, go for a Bernina - SOLID built machines. - Stay away from Brother, had a lot of problems with them and their support desk down south, they make you go through the idiot questions, is the machine plugged in,
is the machine turned on - stupid questions like that and the don't actually help you solve the problem. Sent the machine down to TN several times to get fixed and it's still not working.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Bill, I think the advice to get a gift card is the best. Has she ever mentioned stores she is partial to? If not, maybe print out a pic (or buy a card) of a sewing machine and get a prepaid Visa. Enclose that in a box with a shiny red bow. That way she can go where she wants and get what she wants/likes/needs.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:31 PM

Default Go with the surprise if at all possible!

If you get it from a local dealer, chances are you can make arrangements to exchange it for another in the same price range if necessary.
My parents surprised me with a Bernina many years ago. I loved it- still do but it doesn't get used much.
My husband surprised me with a Janome several years ago . I loved it - still do and use it a lot.
My most recent is a Janome Horizon which I bought for myself with my dh's blessing... I do love it!!! but it doesn't have the same sentimental attachment as the gifts.
Surprise her with a machine , not a gift card, if you can - she'll love it...and you!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

You are a wonderful husband!! I am sure she will be thrilled with what ever machine you decide on. Maybe take her to a dealer Christmas Eve and let her pick!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 PM

I have a Babylock and love it, I also have a pfaff and love it and 3 featherweights and adore those lol Good luck with your search. The thing I love about Babylock is you can trade up and get the same amount you paid for it towards any upgrades
Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

I would love my husband for thinking enough of my craft to buy me a new machine and I would hate it if I couldn't pick it out myself. Sewing machines are like cars - they need to be test-driven and fit the driver. When I bought my last one, I had a long list of "must have" features and the machine I ended up buying does not have half of them. Go figure. I'd agree with the others who said to get a certificate from a reputable dealer or go shopping with her just shy of the holiday.