Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with a quilt pattern please. >

Need help with a quilt pattern please.

Need help with a quilt pattern please.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 AM

I have a feeling that your fluffy stuff isn't going to work the way you want it too. It will fray and the edges need to be finished. You really are better doing it in all flannel.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nannie4 View Post
I think I understand what you are asking but haven't looked at the pattern. I would suggest cutting out half of what it calls for on the flannel and the other half out of the "fuzzy" fabric. Then when you start putting it together and you see that you need more pieces out of the flannel, cut it then. That will keep you from cutting any flannel that you might not need. Does that make sense?
Yes that makes perfect sense
Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 AM

Yes, it would be the same.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 AM

DoxieMomma, you might check out in the fabric department next time you're there for some stuff called "Pattern Ease". Comes in a bolt so you'll find it with the stabilizers. I copy all my patterns whether clothing or craft on this stuff so I can keep the original pattern like new. It also doesn't tear like the tissue paper patterns. You place it over your pattern piece to copy as you can see right thru it but its strong stuff. I buy it by the bolts when I can find it. I used to get it at the Wal-Marts when they carried fabrics. Ours doesn't have fabric here in Carroll, IA.

Just a suggestion though.

Suz in Iowa
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 AM

instead of using batting with the flannel and the fuzzy backing, I would use the second layer of flannel.
This would mean that you will still be cutting the 4 pieces of flannel and 2 of backing.
I made one of these quilts for a gt. nephew and the batting created a little off color.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 AM

Hi, I've made that turtle a few times and what you need to watch for is the right side up of each piece since there are opposites for every part. For ex. the right front "foot" and left front foot on the right side are the reverse. The backing is done the same way, one right side up and one opposite otherwise you'll have the wrong side of the fabric on one piece. Not explaining this very well but if you lay it out on the floor (most tables are too small), you'll get it right. Good luck it's been one of my family's favorite cuddly floor quilts.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM

The long, fluffy fabric, could it be akin to chenille? I think I remember something like that, a single long strand, looks like a long straight chenille, It is also by the Minkie and cuddle fabric at Jo ann's.
Thanks for the tip on the pattern looks to darn cute!! May have to remember that one.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 PM

If you bought the fluffy stuff from Joanns it is probably called some kind of micro fabric and it is softer than minkey. One consideration with using it without finishing the edges is the amount of fuzz that would be safe for a baby to inhale. I worked with that some at Christmas time and was amazed at how much it shed. Wouldn't want the baby having it close to the face for that reason. Maybe use the flannel for the quilt (it raggs great) and make a wrap or something that you can bind or finish the edges with the fluffy stuff.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:57 AM

If I were in your shoes, I would just make the quilt with flannel. I would be afraid the fluffy would fray out of the seam.Rag quilts are great for kids. and I think the Minkee or Cuddle or the Fluffy stuff is hard to work with. That' s my two cents anyway
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 AM

"Just says match up two pieces with wrong sides together and sew." With the batting between, right? That makes 3 pieces.

Some of my first quilts were rag quilts. They were soft and nice just using flannel. Some tips... flannels come in closer weave and looser weave and there is a world of difference! The looser isn't nearly as "friendly" as the closer; it becomes flat and bare after a bit.

AND buy a pair of spring loaded scissors! Mine are full size, but since I don't have to pull them apart after each clip (opening the blades) I only have to do half the work. My hands swelled up terribly (I have some arthritis) the first time I did the clipping for a quilt and my wonderful DH asked at the cutting desk if there were any scissors made for clipping edges of rag quilts! It not only is less painful, but it is sooo much faster!

Also, be sure to machine wash them several times to get rid of the loose threads. Nothing doesn't please a mommy more than seeing her child eat the edges of the quilts that come off so readily (or are already off due to use).

Last edited by Sierra; 03-02-2013 at 09:32 AM.