Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help with rag flannel quilt >

need help with rag flannel quilt

need help with rag flannel quilt

Old 07-22-2015, 01:57 PM

I read somewhere that old fleece jumpers cut up and used as the batting works well, and it's a great way to recycle.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:55 AM

I've made two kinds of flannel rag quilts. One is with BATTING in the middle of each block (cut smaller than each layer of flannel), after sewing together I had to X each square and then rag all the edges too. The other rag quilt has 3 layers of flannel ALL the same size. I have used the second method a number of times, because I didn't have to cut different sizes of flannel and then batting (I didn't have to think about what I was cutting, or what I was putting together - I'm old so I need to save my brain for math with HST - lol). Both methods work great, I think it is just a personal choice or what you learned. Good luck
Old 07-23-2015, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

You can have three layers of flannel or two layers of flannel with batting inside. I always make my batting 1 1/2" smaller than my flannel squares and then center the batting between the two layers of flannel or cotton.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525929[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525930[/ATTACH]

Didn't mean to post so many pictures. Tried to delete one but didn't work.
Attached Thumbnails kaylees-blanket.jpg   sesame-street-folded.jpg   sesame-street-front.jpg  
Old 07-23-2015, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bueniebabe View Post
how many layers should I make each square of flannel?

I just used two with wrong sides facing each other. I don't use a batting layer and it is just fine, in fact I like it better.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Want yet another opinion? I make 3 layers of flannel, all the same size - sometimes I mix in corduroy for top or bottom - and then sew together without batting (the center layer of flannel takes its place). You don't have to quilt X's through the squares, you don't have to be sure the batting is just in the center and not coming out to the edges. Also you get 3 layers to rag, which gives more fluff for the ragging.
Same here it is a lot easier than fighting with the batting to keep it aligned.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Want yet another opinion? I make 3 layers of flannel, all the same size - sometimes I mix in corduroy for top or bottom - and then sew together without batting (the center layer of flannel takes its place). You don't have to quilt X's through the squares, you don't have to be sure the batting is just in the center and not coming out to the edges. Also you get 3 layers to rag, which gives more fluff for the ragging.
I do the same. I also applique a double layer of hearts (in contrasting colours) onto the top flannel block before adding the other 2 layers. My middle layer in the blocks is always a contrasting colour to the top and bottom layers. (This gives a lovely variegated colour to the ragged edges when finished). When appliqueing the hearts onto the top layer, I do a row of straight stitching 5/8" in from the outside edge of the heart and then I clip around the hearts at 1/4" spacing. When the quilt is washed and tumble dried, the heart edges and the blocks all become beautifully ruffled.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:04 AM

I've made about 35 raggy quilts. One with batting between two layers of flannel, about 25 with three layers of flannel, 5 with two layers of woven cotton with a layer of flannel in the middle, and a few with a mixture of flannel and woven cotton on the outer layers and flannel in the middle layer. My favorite? Two layers of woven cotton with flannel in the middle layer. But all come out fine.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:31 AM

these are both cute and love the colors
Old 07-24-2015, 08:49 AM

I'm planning to do one with denim and probably two layers of flannel.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:45 AM

Three layers of flannel with no batting here. It was heavy enough.