Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help to repair my 222K Featherweight >

Need help to repair my 222K Featherweight

Need help to repair my 222K Featherweight

Old 09-24-2011, 03:13 PM

Hi Members of the Featherweight club

I had fun last weekend at a quilt retreat. I sewed on my second and third project on my 222K Featherweight since I got it in April. I just love piecing on it. Then I oiled it and put it back together. Well it jammed as I was sewing. I tried fixing it myself but the bobbin case base is jammed. I can't take it out. I brought it to a sewing machine repairman that is very honest and trustworthy but he couldn't take it out either. He has kept it overnight and will work on it tomorrow morning and call me.

Is there a trick to fix the jammed bobbin case base?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

Paulette
Old 09-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

According to The Featherweight 221 and I, (I know you have a 222, but I think the principle is the same) a stray thread that gets into the Bobbin area of the machine wraps itself around the bobbin carrier and because of the close fit of the parts, can bog the machine down or even lock it up.
First you have to remove the throat plate by taking out the two screws (dont lose them) Remove the bobbin case. Then remove the gib screw, a tiny screw at about 5 if you were looking at a clock face - need a very small screwdriver for this. (don't lose this one either, its worth its weight in gold)

The Gib will roll out the side of the bobbin case carrier (to the right) There is a screw at the end of the gib that comes in from the back side of the carrier and the gib rotates out on that screw. Turn the bobbin case until the point on its edge is just below the tip of the sewing hook. Only in this position can the bobbin case carrier be removed or reinstallled. Remove the carrier and look for dust and some stray thread. Clean it all out and put a little oil in before you close things up again.

You could really do with the accompanying diagrams, but perhaps if you give your repair man this info, it might help him.

Final instruction is to make sure that when replacing the throat plate, do not forget to put the positioning finger (for the bobbin case) back into the vertical slot on the underside of the throat plate. Best of luck.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanks Lesley for your instructions. But we tried taking out the tiny little screw and yes, we are very careful not to loose it.

The repairman tried to remove the bobbin case holder after but it doesn't budge. It's really jammed.

Paulette
Old 09-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Notimetoquilt
Thanks Lesley for your instructions. But we tried taking out the tiny little screw and yes, we are very careful not to loose it.

The repairman tried to remove the bobbin case holder after but it doesn't budge. It's really jammed.

Paulette
Oh dear - I am trying to remember what Billy (LostN51) as said in the past. I don't think I can say with any confidence what he advised, so I suggest you try the Vintage Machine section, because there are other very knowledgeable people on this board. Let me see, I will find you a link.
Here it is: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1616.htm#4291923
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Thank you so much Lesley for taking the time to help me with this problem.
I'll look at the link right now.

Paulette
Old 09-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Hi Lesley

I have just returned from the sewing machine repairman. He was able to fix the machine. He did get frustrated at trying to remove the bobbin case holder but finally managed by taking the machine completely apart in that area. They sell Husqvarna sewing machines at the store and they know me well since I have two of their machines and one of my daughters just bought one. The other two owners of the shop told me he sure learned a lot more about the Singer Featherweight by looking at mine. But he didn't quit and I have my machine back. Not bad since I brought it in at 4:30 yesterday. Anyway I told the owners about the Featherweight Club and they wanted me to send the link.

I told them that a person from Ireland answered my plea for help with the machine. They were surprised. Thanks so much for taking the time to try to help.

Paulette from Ottawa, Ontario Canada.