Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about Singer Featherweight 222K - Free Arm >

Question about Singer Featherweight 222K - Free Arm

Question about Singer Featherweight 222K - Free Arm

Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Default Question about Singer Featherweight 222K - Free Arm

I already own a Singer Featherweight 221 and have just acquired a Featherweight 222K-free arm. It came from a well known man who buys, sells and services vintage Singer sewing machines in my area of Florida. Through unusual circumstances I now have a 222 free arm Featherweight from him. He indicated that it had been completely serviced and was ready to use. I didn't get to "play" with it at the time I picked it up, because there was another customer at his home at the time.

This machine came with all the accessories, including the manual and the original case.

While playing with it in my sewing room, I've discovered that this little Featherweight is a LOT noiser that my 221.
My question is to anyone here that owns both a 221 and a 222 Singer - and is there a difference is the amount of noise from stitching?

Thank you for your help. I do know that I can call the seller and he will be glad to go over the machine again - but I just want to ask here first. Jennie
Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 PM

I do find that the 222 has a different noise, possibly a little louder. I believe that this is partly due to the "tunnel" of the open arm, vs the nice big area that the sound seems to deaden in on a 221.

A lot though? Even if he said it was serviced, it's worth taking a look at the gears and various "joints" to see if you can see evidence of fresh oil and grease.

Is the noise from the motor or the belt or the machine itself?

Can you describe the noise?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Tammi ! Thank you for responding to my post. I had been reading the vintage SM thread and did notice that you own both the 221 & 222, and was hoping that you would respond

After writing my post, I decided to look again at the bottom of the machine. As you know, there is only a small cover over part of the bottom. I was suspecting that this little gem just needs some oil/grease. The gears I saw under the plate I removed did look dry to me and to my touch.

Regarding the loud sound while stitching, I was also thinking that, these 2 sewing machines would no doubt sound differently because of their different shape under the sewing bed. I really can't describe the sound - - - - LOL

I have a Singer 301 in a cabinet that is a JOY to sew on. She has her own smoooooooth stitching sound. Does your 301 sound smooth ?

I have decided that I'm just gonna call Glenn and take this little machine to him and ask him to look it over again. He deals with many people, both here in the Florida area and also out of state AND England. Based on my experience with him, I think that he "thought" that this 222 was ready to go to a new home, having been cleaned/oiled, etc.

The reason I think this, is because of a funny situation (his forgetfullness) with another machine of mine that he was servicing. It's really funny - it you're interested in knowing it, I'll tell you.

I had previously noticed that you had a website, but just checked it out today. WOW !! What great information you have there. I'll be checking it often.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:22 PM

Actually, there are 2 covers on the 222 that can be removed. If you remove the bed, you'll see a screw on the bottom of the "tunnel". There are a couple more oil spots in there. ETA: The rest you access from the top, by removing the throat plate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]420369[/ATTACH]
It's extremely rare to be able to grease with no excess grease getting anywhere. Usually a little squishes from between the gears and balls up a little around the gear. (and flings off elsewhere if it's excessive). If the gears seemed dry to you, they likely were. They should literally look a little moist in the areas that mesh together.

If you can, see if you can get Glenn to show you how to maintain the 222. These little machines were meant to be maintained by the owner. For the most part, de-linting, oiling / greasing you can do on your own. Other issues, should be looked at by someone with experience (which doesn't always mean an OSMG)

I've heard the 221 sound described as a waterfall. This one I find is similar, but seems burlier,... like a bigger waterfall?

The 301 usually use has been complaining a little on the last 2 projects I did. She's been oiled and cleaned, so I think it's time to look deeper at the motor. No big deal, I just need to get her out of her table and put her on the bench. The other 2 301s here sound great. They're smooth and quiet. Not as quiet as the 201, but much quieter than the 503 and the 15. The 411Gs may be comparable.

Glenn also deals with us Canadians. When you talk to him, tell him Tammi said Hi? I got some stuff from him at the beginning of the year for my 222, and he was very helpful.

I would definitely like to hear the story. I thought it odd the way he'd not respond to my emails for a week at a time, but in the end, everything arrived as expected, and he knew his stuff. Forgetfulness would explain a lot.

The only gotcha I got him on was the case. It looks like we Canadians -did- get a different case than the US or British machines. (US locks, and the FW barely fits in it. The rear hinges look a little different too, as do the clasps.) I've come across another one since. A friend found one and had me service it. Same exact case.

I'm glad you're enjoying the site. I don't get as much time to post as I'd like to, but I try to keep it entertaining and educational at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails fw222.jpg  

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 06-21-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added inf about the throat plate
Old 06-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Tammi - - For some reason, I am not getting notifications at the top of the page. Up at the very top where, from left to right is - - - - - - - welcom, quiltinjennie, notifications. I click there and it says "no new messages" I have had to scroll waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the "vintage sewing machine" catagory and try to find my original post and then finally I find your response :/

Could we please take this discussion directly to our email addresses? My quilting/sewing email address is:

[email protected] Please make it easy for me to find your messages Thanks ! PS - - - -

Are we both talking about Glenn Williams, Temple Terrace, (Tampa) Florida ??