Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with simple 'Warm Wishes" >

Need help with simple 'Warm Wishes"

Need help with simple 'Warm Wishes"

Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I found the pattern on Quilmaker's website too. Just finished my first one. Had to add additional blocks to the pattern since the charity I make quilt tops for have minimum dimensions. Here is a photo. Print was a very old VIP strawberry print. Doesn't show up that well. This was the easiest and quickest pattern I have ever made in over 25 years of quilting.
Attached Thumbnails warm-wishes-strawberry.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM

I just finished a Warm Wishes that I made just for me. The others I made were for either friends or charity, but I knew someday I would make one for myself. I like how it turned out. I did make my two narrower strips the same color. One of my friends wanted hers made that way, and it looked good, I thought....so I made mine the same way.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001572.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 PM

Ok one more question on this - are all the focus fabric squares the same size or do you use two different size squares, larger for the centers and slightly smaller for the cornerstones?
I guess you could do it either way depending on the fabric.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Ok one more question on this - are all the focus fabric squares the same size or do you use two different size squares, larger for the centers and slightly smaller for the cornerstones?
I guess you could do it either way depending on the fabric.
They are all the same size. If they weren't, the blocks wouldn't line up.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
So many of you have suggested the 'Warm Wishes' as the quick and easy go to pattern. While it does look simple, I am a little confused by the Band strips. I want to make these out of my scraps. Do I understand that the two outside strips should be cut at 2" and the inside strip should be cut at 3"? I am a picture person and this picture does not show those sizes. So, I'm assuming the two outside strips will be fairly small. Got the free pattern from Quiltmaker magazine on line.
Yes, the middle strip is wider than the outer two. The outer two strips form a frame around your focus fabric. I make this quilt all the time and it's pretty, quick, quilt.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 AM

I've used the Warm Wishes pattern several times and have changed the size of the bands each time, depending on what I found most pleasing to the eye with the fabrics/colors I was using.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I just learn more and more from this board!
So do I!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:27 AM

I have made this quilt several times and have enjoyed each one I made. The only exception to that was when my focus fabric repeat didn't give me the same jungle animals every time, so I fussy cut 40 squares of focus fabric. I adjusted the math for the band widths to ensure I wouldn't have to mess with cutting those funny. I ended up doing the math wrong and had the opportunity to fussy cut 40 strip pieced blocks. NEVER AGAIN. Even if it's "simple" math, I will ask here for confirmation I did the math right before I piece all that together.

I had enough of the FF left to make another one. I'm going to make the blocks big enough to accommodate strip piecing and no more fussy cutting.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 AM

I have made several quilts in the warm wishes pattern. One of the things I like to do is use 2 focus fabrics. One that is "framed" and another that floats.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 PM

You can make the strips in your pieced blocks any size you want. Here is a stacked 4 patch where I framed each 4 patch, then used a thin strip in the center of the pieced block. I think it really changes the look.
Attached Thumbnails finished.jpg