Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with this Star Quilt >

Need help with this Star Quilt

Need help with this Star Quilt

Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 PM

I think I prefer the first one - as it seems more balanced.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Tratan and ManicQuiter2, I do like this idea of the flying geese. And yes, you are right if I have a wider black border I need to have a good quilt design for it. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

You are welcome. Thank you for letting me play.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:20 PM

Bear is gray did a great job.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM

Here's what I did--might sound silly, but I held up my fist in front of my eyes , then slowly opened it and peered through the "lens" and looked at your quilt through that It really helped define the shapes and values . I think the bottom right star should change places with the second one in the top row. It spreads out the brightness for more balance .And I'm wondering if the "not pointy cornered" stars are throwing off the balance maybe? They're all really cool blocks, but to me, the non-starry ones seem to not work as well where they are.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I like the idea of the four pinks in the corner and balancing the more "whispy" stars among the more solid ones.

As for the border, I would add a narrow floater border with a diamond or square in a square border. Then a solid black for some great quilting.
Attached Thumbnails star_layout.jpg  

Last edited by MadQuilter; 10-01-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:09 PM

That works well. I might try switching the second and third ones on the bottom row to spread out the brightness.

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I like the idea of the four pinks in the corner and balancing the more "whispy" stars among the more solid ones.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Love the idea of being able to adjustthis for someone. Great work!! And what a kindness!

I think I like Mad Quilter's layout thebest but agree with Zozee about switching the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]blocks on the bottom. I think that would just make this layout rock!

As for the border, why not do what isinside the middle block to pick up on that? You could make thosetriangles bigger to both give it more size and to be similar butdifferent, like a nice contrast. I think that is what I would do. The blocks are all so pretty (fantastic job btw!!) and they are alsoquite busy. If the border gets too busy it will take the eye awayfrom the blocks which in my opinion are the focus. I think the sameborder as the interior would just be a nice complement and would helpthat big block stand out where it could get lost in the shuffle withtoo many distractions and patterns going on around it.

Just my opinion. Thanks for allowingme to share it.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

I agree about switching places for the 2nd and 3rd blocks on the bottom of MadQuilter's lay out.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:37 AM

Try putting the blocks with the stronger colors in the corners. I'd try the ones with the red on opposite corners--upper right and lower left with the purples in the other 2 corners. As to border--perhaps, as you say--a narrow black to let it float and then one of those lavenders that's already in the piece. Maybe just stitch piano keys in that last border or some other simple quilting design. I'd be careful of making a border too busy with all the different designs in your blocks. Don't want to take away from those. Very pretty!