Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help starting crabapple hill design >

need help starting crabapple hill design

need help starting crabapple hill design

Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 PM

I love Crabapple Hills patterns. I have made a couple of the quilts and also some of the wall hangings. I always have put a piece of muslin behind my block. I am thinking of trying the batting or piece of flannel on my next project though since it works well for some of you. Really enjoy hearing how you all do your embroideries.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:42 PM

I followed their instructions with mine, just as written. Used a nice muslin, basted all around the design and in open areas. Loved the results. Not hard to embroider at all. I did the Vintage Tin, so like everything that my husband likes. Now working on the blocks to finish.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:10 PM

When my fabric that I am doing the embroidery is black I do not back it. However if my fabric is a light fabric I do.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:02 AM

thank you for all of these suggestions. i was really itching to get going on this but i think i'll do as suggested and try a sample block. it sure won't hurt to practice some hand embroidery before i get to my project, it's been a long time since i did any of that.
i love the idea of the extra layer of batting jackie spencer. do you try to run the stitch right through both layers or just through the fabric and into the batting.
nanna-up-north the pictures look lovely but when you see them in person all quilted up, they really are very special.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 AM
Power Poster

I have worked on these over the years and use the extra layer of muslin , it is easy to stitch through and keeps the threads on the back from showing through, makes a big difference in the appearance of the finished project. I tried a fusible interfacing once, it was a major pain... I have found (for me) just a lightweight muslin is enough.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 AM

I made a floral, embroidery BOM from a nearby LQS that had us trace the design on our backround, spray-baste the block to the thinnest Dream Cotton batting and then embroider with Sulky 12 wt. thread. I was skeptical about stitching through the batting, but it worked very nicely and turned out well. We did use a full thin Dream Cotton batting for the whole assembled top. Good Luck on your project!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:49 AM

I am presently working on the "Over the River and Through the Woods" by Crabapple Hill. I use muslin and baste the two layers together so they don't get lumpy while I'm doing the embroidery. Like QltrSue I used the Sulky 12 wt. thread - single strand Charcoal. Loved it. Almost time to start the blocks - the hardest part is over. Good Luck with your project.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:00 AM
GG

I also love to embroidery and just finished the vintage tins for a gift and working on snowman pattern. I have done both and I am fine with nothing behind but my friend just hates it that way so I tried different backings and with my dry skin I find that a cream color flannel works best for me. Enjoy what you do always
Old 07-31-2014, 04:33 AM

I to use Quilters Dream cotton batting and it works like Jackie says I learned doing mine in class
Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 AM

I sew through both layers, the quilters dream batting, is very needle friendly! Love that batting!