Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help starting crabapple hill design >

need help starting crabapple hill design

need help starting crabapple hill design

Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 AM

Default need help starting crabapple hill design

i've seen some beautiful pictures of some of the crabapple hill patterns that have been posted on the board so i'm hoping that someone can tell me if you have all done them with the muslin backing on the embroideries. how difficult is it to embroider through the two layers? how will it change mine if i just use my main fabric layer.
thanks for any help. i can't wait to start but i really don't want to mess it up right from the beginning.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 AM

You might try Pellon SF 101 on the back of your blocks -- it is a very lightweight iron on stablizer and it needles beautifully. The extra layer helps to keep the traveling stitches, the knots and the ends of the threads from showing through the top layer when the blocks are complete.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 AM

I have used the muslin and like it alot, my friend uses a fusible but sometimes she gets bubbles in hers from too much heat. The snow ladies I'm doing at the moment, I am using warm and natural basted to it, I like that look. Maybe draw yourself a square or circle & do a sample with a few different backings to see which one you like best. When I hand stitch my labels I don't put any backing on, but then I'm not so worried about the carried thread showing through on a light background.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I just use one layer of either white on white or really good quality white fabric. As other have said, try a little sample block to see which you like before starting on your other blocks.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 AM

I wasn't sure either, but I backed my fabric with a solid piece of fabric the same size as the piece to be embroidered. I loosely sewed them together on the edges. I found embroidering through the two layers to be a piece of cake. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Banned

I ditto what Nammie to 7 said... The Pellon SF101 is a great product to have around! It is great for what you're looking to do here.. But it's also my favorite stabilizer for making bags ... If one layer isn't quite enough, a double layer works beautifully.

When half my bolt is gone, I start watching the sales... & usually buy mine when Joann's is having any 40-50% off sale... I call in and order a full bolt.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM

I like to use the extra layer for embroidered squares, I actually find it very easy to sew through and don't need to use a hoop with this technique. Make sure you baste the fabrics together so there are not any lumps or bumps. I have used a high quality muslin, but my favorite to use is a high quality white flannel.
I learned about the flannel at a workshop with Meg Hawkey.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 AM

My mom does all of these and she uses just the 1 layer of fabric - nothing behind. However her embroidery is very meticulous and neat! Not like mine would be
Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 AM

I wasn't aware of these beautiful designs. I had to google it. They are awesome....
Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 PM

I do lots of hand embroidery and I always use a piece of Quilters Dream Batting, behind the block Im working on. I baste around the out side edges. This batting is wonderful does not seem to add to bulk of seams when the blocks are sewn together, and I always use another layer of batting when it gets quilted, this really enhances the embroidery.