Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help with this

Blog Entries
    I lean toward a very dark green, and I thought that darker red you had with the dots looked good too. I think the black is too harsh and the light colors too light.

I like the red with the micro dots. I say go with what calls to you. It's your quilt.

I think the black makes the blocks pop while the red micro dot feels homey. Which feeling are you going for? Look at me! or welcome home!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    I lean toward a very dark green, and I thought that darker red you had with the dots looked good too. I think the black is too harsh and the light colors too light.
    Thanks, I feel the same way. And I really do like the way the red micro dot looks with everything. I will ask my oldest son today at lunch as well. Some how he was born with an eye for color.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I think the black makes the blocks pop while the red micro dot feels homey. Which feeling are you going for? Look at me! or welcome home!
    The homey country feeling.

Blog Entries
    I love the red doted one and the black as well. It is what you like and not what we like. Go with your intuition
    and the first one is usually the right one. Please let us know what you decided.

I also think that a dark fabric would work better. Once you decide please post pics. Good Luck!

Green with green also in first block problem. Rearrange your block order, moving that block to somewhere away from the edge.

I like the idea of black.

Blog Entries
    i like black myself.

I have three dogs, and a solid black would be horrible for me. What about using one of the blender fabrics that's all marbles with different colors. There are 1000's of them. I use them a lot.

when auditioning fabrics, lay it under a corner, usually top right, showing the amt you intend to use.standing at the lower left, step back, turn away, look back at corner. One's eye natural goes to the large area, if this isn't helping you--- then take 2 pcs white paper,add to corner where fabric ends,this sometimes draws you back"to the finished" corner. I would use darker also, but I add a small sashing between the blocks, of the the same to pull it all together.

Just move the block with the green border away from the edges of the quil. I like the dark green idea.

Blog Entries
    I think the deep red micro dot is a good choice for that 'homey' look. I would use it. It reminds me of the old quilts my grandmother made.

A lot of people like the black. I think that is 'too much' to go with the colors of the quilt, which are somewhat lighter. But as others have said, it is your quilt, your decision, and it's good to go with the 'oooooohh' factor.

I think you need something dark and I like the red with micro dots better than the black.

i think a really dark beige would be prety like we say lay some different colors down and deside js

Blog Entries
    There seem to be lots of warm colors, how about putting it together with a blue, not too bright, like colonial blue. Just a thought. Let us see what you do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    I think you need something darker and that reads nore as a solid to bring out the blocks.
    But that is my opionion!LOL
    do what you like!
    I always go with the "oooH"
    whenever choosing fabrics the one that makes me fo "oooH" is the one to use!
    I agree with this idea go dark

When I first saw your blocks, my thought was black or a charcoal gray, maybe with red sashing blocks.

Several have mentioned auditioning different fabrics...along that line you might consider asking a friend that has several large pieces of fabric of differing colors and/or patterns (if you don't have a large variety in your own stash) if you could borrow them. Lay all the blocks on one of the fabrics and take a picture with a digital camera. Do this for a variety of fabrics. When you view them in your camera/phone they will appear quite a bit smaller, giving you a different perspective, and you can scroll back and forth to find just the right one.

Blog Entries
    I'd try a sort of retro, medium-sage green, to bring out the scrappiness of the varied blocks.

I really love the red with dots. I think it makes all of the blocks really standout without over powering them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of your ideas. I do think I will go with the red micro dot. Just have to remember that this is going to be done in the quilt as you go style, so the fabric I use will be showing as the sashing as well as the back considering how it is sewn together. It will take some time for me to finish this so I will post a lot later what it looks like.

I definitely think black to make the blocks pop. Maybe a black on black print to add a little interest without making it too busy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast