Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need HELP on Thread Catcher Tutorial

Blog Entries
    I found on line a tute for a Triangular Thread Catcher from "Needling Things". Has anyone here made one and if so could you PLEASE tell me how to assemble the three triangles. I took the three triangle to class and ask the teacher and students to help me and NO ONE CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT THE "THING" TOGETHER. The tute is on "Needling Things". Thanks in advance. I'm sure it is a very simple thing.

Blog Entries
    I am sure someone on here can help you out

I just surfed and found the tutorial here:

http://needlingthings.blogspot.com/2...ad-catcher.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dmarina
    I found on line a tute for a Triangular Thread Catcher from "Needling Things". Has anyone here made one and if so could you PLEASE tell me how to assemble the three triangles. I took the three triangle to class and ask the teacher and students to help me and NO ONE CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT THE "THING" TOGETHER. The tute is on "Needling Things". Thanks in advance. I'm sure it is a very simple thing.

it is just one triagle that is sew together it has 2 triangles sewn together and turned then you sew 2 seams partway up then turn down points

It's taken me until just now to wrap my tiny mind around this too, Dmarina. Cut out a triangle from a piece of paper so you can make yourself a model. Take your piece of paper as she says and fold one point down to the middle - THEN DO THE OTHER TWO. You'll see your triangle with another triangle folded in the middle - that's the bottom that will be created when you sew the sides together.

Blog Entries
    http://needlingthings.blogspot.com/2...d-catcher.html

Try this one, the first link send by Craftybear, thank you by the way, didn't work for me. (It says, page not found)

This is the same site.

a better tutorial

I too was having trouble with this same tutorial. I went looking for some better directions online (that's how I found this board) and I came across this other tutorial: http://gigisquilts.blogspot.com/2011...ar-thread.html

Those few extra photos really do the trick.

thanks for sharing the link.

Think I'll run home from work and make one. I thought I'd put flannel in inside so that the threads and snips stay put. What do you think?

Power Poster
    When you fold up all three corners on an equilateral triangle it forms another smaller equilateral triangle as the bottom base. You only sew the sides up part way and fold the tips down to the outside and you can tack them or add pretty little buttons or those ribbon roses.

Exactly what Tartan said. I took a manilla file and made a template as large as I could. I didn't put buttons on my traveling one as I wanted to fold it flat. I made quite a few as gifts.
    Judys, make sure the flannel is prewashed so it won't pucker when it needs cleaning.

piney

Thanks piney! I'll be sure to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    Exactly what Tartan said. I took a manilla file and made a template as large as I could. I didn't put buttons on my traveling one as I wanted to fold it flat. I made quite a few as gifts.
    Judys, make sure the flannel is prewashed so it won't pucker when it needs cleaning.

piney

triangle thread catcher

Quote Originally Posted by dmarina View Post
    dmarina..you say 3 triangles, but mine uses 4 and came from the same site as you mentioned. One for the bottom, and the 3 sides. The 3 get sewn at their sides and then to base triangle by top stitching around to the base. Don't sew the triangle sides all the way up--the instructions say only half way. Of course, this is after you've sewn the lining and turned inside out. I love this pattern..here is a pix of one of my many...
    Attached Images Attached Images