Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help!!!  thread is shredding >

Need Help!!! thread is shredding

Need Help!!! thread is shredding

Old 04-03-2017, 04:50 AM

I forgot to tell you, I was in a free motion boot camp.....instructor told us to use a microtex sharp needle......started using that needle...thread instantly started shredding AND BROKE THE NEEDLE. finally, I took the spool off of the machine, was looking at the tube...there was a sticker stating the size needle to use with that thread...changed the needle...AND IT WORKED..NO ,MORE SHREDDING.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I have the Brother 1500 and the last time I FMQ with it I had the same problem. It never did this before so I know something is causing a problem. The so called dealer doesn't really give me much help as to her the machine isn't a high end sale. Keeps saying it must be user error. I sews perfectly with the walking foot or doing straight stitching.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-03-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Please accept my condolences for your loss. frustrating when you try to do something to help cope and a machine malfunctions. Don't need that kind of frustration. I have nothing in the way of ideas to help since I don't have a long arm. Hope the situation is resolved quickly. ((((Hugs))))
Old 04-03-2017, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I have that machine too, bought used, and have been trying to figure out what the problem is. I have used a lot of different needle/thread combinations, using all the holes, two of them, running thread backwards through them, a thread stand, cones, etc. I do better with Isacord so far, as Leah Day recommends and says that she went with the Isacord because of thread breakage and said some machines just like to break thread if going in a certain direction. I also notice with my particular machine the problem is more pronounced when I move the sandwich to the left. I am trying very hard not to pull it through and I have the whole thing well supported. Someone on the Facebook pager this machine had the problem after quilting many quilts successfully and found a tiny burr in her needle hole and had some products up that I can't remember that she used to smooth things out. I haven't tried that. I clean and oil my machine regularly and it does a great straight stitch and sometimes will go for a long time without shredding/breaking the thread. So it is a mystery to me too. I do have slightly better results with the Juki open toed foot vs. either one of the two Brother feet made for this machine. Could be coincidence. I hope one of us figures it out!!
Old 04-03-2017, 05:49 AM

I don't know anything about the Brother machines, but found these 2 articles that maybe will help.
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/ans...ing-at-the-top
http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqen...qh00000024_000
good luck
Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 AM

As a wild guess, something is catching the thread on the way down. If you have changed needles, threads and cleaned machine, this is the only place it could be weakening the thread. It may be that something has tweaked or moved just a tad and is catching. If you can't see inside or take the cover off, it would be worth it to take it into a shop and asking them. I know that one time I was having a devil of a time with assorted problems and discovered a 1/4" piece of thread caught inside the bobbin area! Just about drove me nuts!!!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:28 AM

I agree with Tartan. If there is any pull at all I've had the same problem.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:59 AM

I had that same problem at one time and a larger needle fixed it.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:05 AM

I had the same problem on one quilt. The shop owner and I decided (after trying many different things) that the thread was wound too tight on the spool. It was every spool of that color from that manufacturer. A different brand worked fine.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:18 AM

I know this seems counterintuitive but try working with the feed dogs up. My machine hated working with the feed dogs down, shredded and broke thread a lot. No trouble with the feed dogs up. If it works ok FMQing with feed dogs up, next time you take it for service tell the techition to adjust the feed dogs or replace. I did so and had no more problems even with feed dogs down.