Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need Help w/ Sewing Machine

Blog Entries

Need Help w/ Sewing Machine

I recently bought a fairly new Brother PC420 sewing machine and really love it....except I seem to continually
    be catching my material in the feed dogs and warning sign comes on and I have to take up throat plate. I have a feeling it may have to do with bobbin. Anyone else out there have this problem and know the solution? Thanks Cheryl

Use leaders and enders, ie. just sew a small piece of fabric before and after you start sewing.
    You can keep using the same piece of fabric several times. You also save thread that way.

Blog Entries
    I always hold down the thread ends with my left hand when starting to sew. Keeps thread from being pulled into the hole and tangling. Some newer machines do not require holding ends, but many still do.

If you're sure the bobbin is inserted in the correct position/direction, and the two prior ladies suggestions don't work, I find on my Brother that if I put just a little pressure on the fabric (pulling towards me), the feed dogs grab better. Hope that makes sense . . .

Blog Entries
    Do you have a brother bobbin in the machine? My brother is very temperamental and will only work smoothly with brother bobbins,
    Also try changing make f thread and see what happens. Some machines again like certain makes.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions. I'm thinking, need brother bobbin. Now to find some the right size.

The solution may be as simple as changing your needle or changing your needle type. A dull needle has a tendency to push the fabric instead of going thru the fabric. I have also found that universal needles just don't work as well as regular sharp needles.

Blog Entries
    Do as easypeezy say's. I use leaders before I sew and after I sew. Works wonderful for me. Try it. And I also, change my needles, after so long of a period for sewing.

Brothers machines only like Brother bobbins. I don't have that problem with my Brothers but if you hold the threads in the back, that should help the problem.
    Marilyn

If nothing else has worked, here's one more thing to try. Do you have the zigzag plate installed? If so, the larger needle hole makes it easier for fabric to get pushed down inside. Try switching to the straight-stitch plate.

By the way, when I have to use the straight-stitch plate, I put a post-it note on the machine to remind me to change back.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!