Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help what am I doing wrong >

need help what am I doing wrong

need help what am I doing wrong

Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I use a stlleto, toothpick, long straight pin - whatever - to hold the fabric/ quide it - the last inch or so - the holder is almost under the needle as that last bit is sewn.

some say that using a single hole needlrplate also helps. the downside to using that is to straight stirch ONLY - otherwise one ends up with broken or bent needles.
So true, it is very easy (for me) to leave that straight stitch plate in and then proceed to use a zig zag or something else. Ugh! (I have even tried the leaving of a post it note on the machine to help me.)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 AM

Some machines are easier than others to sew a perfect 1/4" seam. I have a Pfaff, Bernina, Brother and Baby Lock. I really think it has to do with the feed dogs, to some degree.

Do you mind telling us what machine you are using?

I have found with my Baby Lock and Brother, I can get a more uniform, even, and consistent 1/4". I use a standard (J) foot, and set the needle to the 5.5 position for a scant 1/4", and 6.0 for a full 1/4". I have found that I sew much better on these machines.

I think using a full foot, and the feed dogs really do help. But this is only my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Girlfriend; 12-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I tend to do the same things. Try what Eisy suggest. I have multi layer of painter's tape and try to keep the fabric against the tape to keep it straight. It is amazing how little you can be off and it really does make a difference.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

This might help, along with using a stiletto to guide the last couple of inches of fabric toward the sticky note, as other suggested.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails easy-quarter-inch-seam-allowance-trick.gif  
Old 12-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Get yourself a stiletto ( tooth pick, chop stick, pointed pencil, seam ripper) Slow down your sewing speed, really slow and use the stiletto as a guide to keep the fabric near the seam guide and your fingers away from the needle. Also using a scrap to sew onto at the end of a seam will help keep the seam straight.
peace
Old 12-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I keep my finger on top of the fabric and hold my finger to the edge of the foot all the way to the end of the seam. Works for me.
This was how many instructors in a lot of workshops I have taken have said to do it. I put my finger on the left edge of the foot about an inch before the end and my seams never veer.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:03 PM

I had the same problem you are experiencing. I couldn't seem to correct it. I bought a couple of different 1/4" feet and I still tailed off at the end.

I sew on 2 different Brother machines - a sewing/embroidery combination and a Brother Runway Wally World edition.

A friend recommended I buy an open toed foot that was a snap-on. That started me getting better. I use the left needle stitch setting, then change the width a bit and run the material even with the inside of the right part of the open toe foot to get my 1/4". Then I had to learn to slow down and watch the edge of the material all the way through the foot. I'm not perfect, but I am a whole lot better.

Another thing that really helped me sew straighter was some paper piecing I did. In order to stay on the line, you had to watch it closely. Getting even a little bit off caused some resewing. After you sew the same thing 10 or 15 times, you began to pay more close attention to keeping the edge of the material next to the edge of the foot all the way through the seam.

This is the foot I bought. It is a generic, so doesn't have the fancy markings on it, but I quickly found I didn't need them anyway. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-on-Meta...item3f2f9b1159
Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I use a stlleto, toothpick, long straight pin - whatever - to hold the fabric/ quide it - the last inch or so - the holder is almost under the needle as that last bit is sewn.

some say that using a single hole needlrplate also helps. the downside to using that is to straight stirch ONLY - otherwise one ends up with broken or bent needles.

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
So true, it is very easy (for me) to leave that straight stitch plate in and then proceed to use a zig zag or something else. Ugh! (I have even tried the leaving of a post it note on the machine to help me.)
I have one straight stitch plate that goes on 6 or 7 of my machines. They are older mechanical machines. I use a small refrigerator magnet on the front of whatever machine has the ss plate on it so I don't forget and switch it to zz. I used to break a couple needles a week but haven't broken any since I started doing this.

Cari
Old 12-16-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Two things. Sounds like you are using a leader scrap, you should also use an ender to sew off onto. Second. don't, watch the needle, watch the fabric as it feeds against your foot or whatever you are using for a gauge. It's not too hard if you are sewing straight pieces, but you need to be more careful if you are sewing triangles or other shaped pieces. A stiletto helps.
I have found that in addition to the above great advice is to slow the machine as you near the end so you are not moving too fast to guide the fabric carefully. Solved the problem for me.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:49 AM

The magnetic guide is great if you don't have an electronic machine. They have been known to ruin the computers in some expensive electronic machines. The magnet is not good for them. You can measure the 1/4 inch and place several layers of blue painters tape at that mark and use that for a guide all the way from front to back. Good luck.