Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need an idea for teachers gift

Joe
    I need an idea for a quick easy project to make for my sons teacher I have about 2 weeks to finish it any ideas???

Power Poster
    Tote bags?

Gift certificates?

I agree - teachers love tote bags, for elementary school teachers use primary colors. (My sister teaches kindergarten and one was not enough!)

I agree, totebags! You can never have too many!

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    aprons...I think just about everyone likes aprons even if they never use them.

do both. An Apron and a tote bag. if you know her favorite colors do them. I would also suggest going black or dark color on the bottom of the bag so that it wont show dirt so much. I have a couple and wish that they had dark bottoms. That way I don't have to wash or clean them so mcuh.

Power Poster
    Teachers - what do you like to get?

Notes of appreciation probably go over well, too.

If you look here, you can see what I helped my 3 8 year old grandchildren make for their teachers. They each wrote a personal card on why they appreciate them.

While these gifts were not the most practical, they certainly were a big hit in the classroom. Teachers love to be appreciated.

http://quilt-knit-run-sew.blogspot.c...ion-gifts.html

My grandaughter and I made a little autograph quilt for the whole class to sign out of a 12" block and 20 siggies. It was quick to make and came out really cute. Very fast project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe
    Anybody have any links to patterns for a tote bag?

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N
    My grandaughter and I made a little autograph quilt for the whole class to sign out of a 12" block and 20 siggies. It was quick to make and came out really cute. Very fast project.
    Thats a good idea. Yours looks fantastic.

Here is a blog that has links to tons of free tutorials for all kinds of totebags.

oops, sorry. Here is the link.

http://diybaglover.blogspot.com/

One year I was the "room parent" for one of my children's classes. I contacted all the parents and asked for them to donate (if they were interested) to a gift certificate for this teacher. One mom told me she was so excited becuase she wanted to get a gift but couldn't think of anything.

This is where I'll probably become really unpopular. As a person from the "other side of the pupil" for a while (that is being the teacher), I think all gifts are wonderful and the love that goes in to something you have made is extremely special. Most teachers have a closet full of totebags that never see the light of day. People forget that teachers spend hundreds of dollars of their own money every year buying things for their classroom. The most useful gift I ever received was the gift certificate.

Now this and $0.02 will probably get be a train ticket to somewhere far away.

Power Poster
    Do teachers get into trouble if given a small cash gift?

The down side to gift certificates is that they only spendable in one store.

I have to agree that a gift card or certificate is the best, and no they are not subject to being swayed by bribery like police.Supplies are expensive and often there is way too much of one item and not enough of anything else that is needed.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    One year I was the "room parent" for one of my children's classes. I contacted all the parents and asked for them to donate (if they were interested) to a gift certificate for this teacher. One mom told me she was so excited becuase she wanted to get a gift but couldn't think of anything.

This is where I'll probably become really unpopular. As a person from the "other side of the pupil" for a while (that is being the teacher), I think all gifts are wonderful and the love that goes in to something you have made is extremely special. Most teachers have a closet full of totebags that never see the light of day. People forget that teachers spend hundreds of dollars of their own money every year buying things for their classroom. The most useful gift I ever received was the gift certificate.

Now this and $0.02 will probably get be a train ticket to somewhere far away.
    Great insight thanks

When giving a gift certificate to a teacher you can often find what "teacher supply heaven" they like. There used to be visa gift cards that were available for any denomination that was put on the card. Kind of like a prepaid debit card.

Pillow cases that match subject taught. I am making cases white with black music notes for g-daughter's orchestra teacher. Top stitch hem with a decortive stitch. Black thread using a decortive stitch is what I am doing.

Some of my favorites have been a handpainted ceramic apple I keep matches in it, it has a lid and is so obviously painted by a child), a handpainted flowerpot that the child included my favorite bird on it (blue heron) came with a little plant that didn't make it but I still have the flowerpot on my kitchen windowsill holding odds and ends,a Staples gift card (not for too much but I could get a few things I needed for the classroom), a little jar (Mason jar type) with sewing things in it with a padded lid with sewing themed fabric - like a mini sewing kit that I could keep at school..
    One thing I really don't need is another teacher mug although I've had a few that I've loved. And the person that posted about a note of appreciation - that would mean the world to me (have gotten a few over the years and if a copy went to my administrator, I wouldn't mind that at all.
    A totebag would be appreciated, I think, if the person doesn't sew him or herself...
    Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N

I love that! The contrast with colors is crazy cool!

The best "made" gift I ever got was when I was student teaching. They had taken a plain white throw pillow, divided it up into squares and had each kid decorate a part of the pillow with fabric markers. I would advise to stay away from tote bags (I have about a million of the things and, while any gift is appreciated, I really won't use all of them), mugs or things with apples. If I had my choice, I would best appreciate a gift certificate to a book store to improve my classroom library or a gift certificate to a teacher supply store or somewhere like Staples, Target, etc.

i love gift certificates!!! my students got me a gift certificate to staples, and some of the parents went together and made a "spa basket" for me after hosting a tournament.

=) I agree -- a heartfelt note and a certificate to spend how I choose! =)

Blog Entries
    When my boys were young I gave them homemade book bags. They weren't fancy--made from home dec fabrics and looked like paper shopping bags but with long handles to hand on shoulders. It's been 12 years since I gave my older son's teacher a bag and I ran into her just recently. She says she took it to school with her every day for 7 years until she retired. She said it was the best gift she ever got as a teacher. The fancy bags are beautiful but sturdy bags are important to teachers.I still make those simple bags today for gifts to be used as grocery shopping bags. My friends love them. No pattern needed. Use your brown paper grocery sack as a sample and add straps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast