Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need ideas for a Butterfly themed baby quilt

Need ideas for a Butterfly themed baby quilt

I need to make a baby quilt, butterfly theme. Does anyone have a pattern that they know of right off hand. Maybe everyother block applique butterflies of some type.

My mind is blank. Help

Found one last week online with a pdf download... butterfly block with every other as an hourglass... site is http://people.virginia.edu/~rfk2u/quilts2.html

Power Poster
    There are a couple of pieced Butterfly patterns on www.quilterscache.com. They both have embroidered antennas if you want to do them. For appliqué butterflies I like to get out paper and cut heart shapes. 2 big hearts and 2 smaller hearts make nice wings and you just tuck the heart tips under the center body piece and appliqué then to background fabric.

Actually I got the site above by using - http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/Qu...ltPatterns.htm

There are a list of different free butterfly theme blocks to chose from on this page

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buckingtrout View Post
    Found one last week online with a pdf download... butterfly block with every other as an hourglass... site is http://people.virginia.edu/~rfk2u/quilts2.html
    i love this one... thanks for posting the link
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by chickadeee55 View Post
    I need to make a baby quilt, butterfly theme. Does anyone have a pattern that they know of right off hand. Maybe everyother block applique butterflies of some type.

My mind is blank. Help
    This is on my bucket list--------------draw a stylized butterfly that is fairly simple and at least 8", maybe a variety of sizes. Cut the pattern of butterfly fabric----------there's lots of it around. Applique onto an eye catching background. Maybe even a whole cloth type of background with randomly placed butterflies. I'd use something resembling a pale grass or pale sky. Then applique the body or stitch a thin body and antennae.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

If you google "butterfly quilts" you'll find "images" about 4 or 5 items down. Click on that and enjoy.

On second thought ---------------maybe you shouldn't. You will NOT be able to chose one pattern over anotehr.
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    You could do something like this, goes fast and is very pretty. Name:  Space ship baby quilt 001.jpg
Views: 2313
Size:  830.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Some wonderful ideas.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iamquilter View Post
    You could do something like this, goes fast and is very pretty. Name:  Space ship baby quilt 001.jpg
Views: 2313
Size:  830.8 KB
    I have that fabric in 4 different background colors. One of these days, it will be a NANCY'S FANCY quilt for my step great granddaughter.
    U N T I E

butterfly fabric

I have this fabric if you're into bright colors for kids (like I am). I'd be happy to send you some of each size if you want them...no charge. The three on the bottom are intended for labels. The frames on the two largest ones are about 14.5 by 12.5 (finished), the next largest one is about 14.25 by 8.5, the one with two butterflies is about 6.75 by 8.75, the smaller single butterfly is about 6.5 by 5.75 and the three labels on the bottom are each about 6.5 by 4. If you want any, PM me with your address and which ones you'd like. diosregard the purple at the bottom of the pic...that's one of my clogs!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kate

@Iam- beautiful! Is that metallic? Can't tell from my monitor.
    @ OP- I just saw one over at blankquilting.com...hold for a sec...there are 2 on this page; either one could be rendered nicely in baby-appropriate colors:
    http://www.blankquilting.com/freepat...&submit=Search