Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ideas for a mini workshop to teach my guild members >

need ideas for a mini workshop to teach my guild members

need ideas for a mini workshop to teach my guild members

Old 01-21-2019, 06:20 PM

How long is the class. How many members do you expect to attend. will they have machines or must it be hands.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I did a demo of all the specialty rulers I have. The Block Lock and Quilter's Slidelock were the big hits. Many have never seen the pressing ruler. It got raved reviews from everyone. Perfect for pressing exact straight folds for handles, binding, etc. https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/Clover...er-P52324.aspx. I also showedTerial Magic spray. I ironed a square using starch and one using Terial. They were astonished over that. Stripology ruler, Quilter's Select no slip rulers, and the wool pressing mat. These were new to many members and they got to try them first to decide if they wanted to buy them. I almost got a standing ovation for my table. LOL
Old 01-22-2019, 03:34 AM

I saw this tutorial on making 1 seam flying geese. See if you like it:

One Seam Flying Geese (8): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Cblb8J6i0
Old 01-22-2019, 04:18 AM

I'd love to attend a Hunter's Star workshop.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:18 AM

this time around, 10-15 minutes. BUT, I am going to take over the Program Chair position for the next 2 years, so will take any thoughts on longer presentations! You gals ROCK!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:54 AM

DP9 or any of the clever blocks from MSQ.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Thank You for the link about the hot press ruler. I had never seen it. I just ordered one.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

How to do a "Y" seam (also known as a set in seam). Edyta Sitar has fabulous instructions with lots of pictures in her book "Scrappy Fireworks Quilts" but she uses them so often I bet she has the same instructions in all her books. There is also a You Tube Video by the Fat Quarter Shop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-LPJpl0JU

So many quilters avoid this very basic technique and it is a shame because it isn't that hard and the more you do the easier they are. So they won't attempt any pattern that calls for it like Lemoyne Star, Lone Star, Tumbling Blocks, Seven Sisters, Bow Tie and so many others. Judy Niemeyer (Quiltworx) uses them quite a bit in her patterns too. You can do the workshop and have everyone assemble a LeMoyne Star (aka 8 pointed star) block or a mini Lone Star Quilt.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:37 AM

You could show an alternate to traditional appliqué. I have included a link to a tutorial I did to show how I do applique since I do not have the hand coordination to do it in the traditional style.
*I am not sure what happened to the first photo, but the list will help replace it. (I just noticed it missing.)

Easy appliqué tutorial I promised
Old 01-22-2019, 08:04 PM

how to join the binding ends; speciality rulers (seems like we all end up with a few that we buy for a specific pattern and then can't come up with other uses--it's the other uses that would be nice!); different bats and uses, ideas on different string quilt designs (big hit at my guild); everyone brings their favorite tool--either purchased at a quilt shop or a non-traditional tool; the biggest hit at our guild last year was a video of 4 different members quilting space ranging from huge (could have been a shop they had so much fabric!) to small space; how to make yo-yos; how to straighten a wideback; we have a show and a boutique in it to sell members items (toward free membership) and it's always hard to price items--so this spring we are doing a fake "shopping" experience to get members to help with pricing.