Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: need ideas

Excuse the typing errors, my fingers are not connecting with the brain this morning.
    Cut two 6 inch circles,

Or, if you want to sew the circles with the raw edges inside, sew with the wrong sides together and a piece of batting, leave a space for turning. Fold to make 4 sides and tack.

Carol J.

Blog Entries
    You guys are great!!!!!!!! I have received so many ideas and I love them all. There is a symbol for alzheimers. It is two s joined together. Forget me not flowers are also used very much. I thought about making a purple yo-yo with a yellow button in the center, a magnet on the back and ribbon that say forget me not. But I cannot find the ribbon except ordering large amounts($200) that you can have personalized.

Ihave a pattern using a yoyo with a large paper clip for a bookmark. PM me and I will send it to you.

Carol J.

Isn't there a symbol or something for Alzheimers? How about a mug rug or pot holder with that symbol on it. Virg

My dad always kept a notecard in his pocket, and on it were the names of all the people he is praying for. Since his death last year, I am carrying on the tradition. It is amazing how many times a day I stick my hand in my pocket-at home and away.

I love the yo-yo idea. You don't need to have the printed ribbon, just explain the significance of the ribbon, and end your talk with "forget me not". so wonderful of you to share your thoughts with the audience craving info. God bless.

I spend a lot of time with Alzheimer's patients since my mother is among them living in a nursing home. I have been wanting to make a forget-me-not quilt to raffle at their next fund raiser but now also have been tickled by the purple elephant. Thank you all -- I can't imagine EVER forgetting friends on the Quilting Board!

Quote Originally Posted by mmb195152
    My dad always kept a notecard in his pocket, and on it were the names of all the people he is praying for. Since his death last year, I am carrying on the tradition. It is amazing how many times a day I stick my hand in my pocket-at home and away.

I love the yo-yo idea. You don't need to have the printed ribbon, just explain the significance of the ribbon, and end your talk with "forget me not". so wonderful of you to share your thoughts with the audience craving info. God bless.
    Instead of making something, a collection of stones. Each person picks up a stone that calls to them. They keep it in their pocket and each time they touch the stone, they remember...

I lost my grandmother last night after a 14 year battle with alzheimers.
    Everything mentioned are good ideas! Magnet is definately something that people will see evryday. This is a terrible disease that devastates entire families! :cry:

Last year, I made up over 150 "prayer rocks" and gave them as Christmas gifts. They were a HUGE hit with everyone who got one! I took a little square of fabric, trimmed the edges with pinking shears, wrapped it around a smooth rock, and tied it with a ribbon. Attached to the ribbon was the following poem:

I'm your little "Prayer Rock
    and this is what I'll do.
    Just put me on your pillow
    'til the day is through.
    Then turn back the covers,
    and climb into bed.
    And WHACK! your little Payer Rock
    will hit you in the head.
    Then you will remember
    as the day is through,
    to kneel and say your payers
    as you wanted to.

Then when you are are finished,
    just dump me in the floor,
    I'll stay there through the night
    to give you help once more.
    When you get up the next morning,
    CLUNK! I'll stub your toe,
    so you will remember
    your morning prayers before you go.
    Put me back upon your pillow
    when you bed is made,
    and your clever little Prayer Rock
    will continue in your aid.
    Because your Heavenly Father
    cares and loves you so,
    He wants you to remember
    to talk to Him, you know.

Last year, I made up over 150 "prayer rocks" and gave them as Christmas gifts. They were a HUGE hit with everyone who got one! I took a little square of fabric, trimmed the edges with pinking shears, wrapped it around a smooth rock, and tied it with a ribbon. Attached to the ribbon was the following poem:

I'm your little "Prayer Rock
    and this is what I'll do.
    Just put me on your pillow
    'til the day is through.
    Then turn back the covers,
    and climb into bed.
    And WHACK! your little Prayer Rock
    will hit you in the head.
    Then you will remember
    as the day is through,
    to kneel and say your prayers
    as you wanted to.

Then when you are are finished,
    just dump me in the floor,
    I'll stay there through the night
    to give you help once more.
    When you get up the next morning,
    CLUNK! I'll stub your toe,
    so you will remember
    your morning prayers before you go.
    Put me back upon your pillow
    when you bed is made,
    and your clever little Prayer Rock
    will continue in your aid.
    Because your Heavenly Father
    cares and loves you so,
    He wants you to remember
    to talk to Him, you know.

What about a 'broken dishes' patterned mug coaster? With "never forget" embroydered on the back. ;) I have alzhimers comming at me from both sides of my ancestry. I'm hopeing they find a cure before it catches up with me :| My dad died from complications from it in 2009. My Grandma on my mom's side died from it in 2008 :(

I'm impressed with what your doing..yo-yo's are easy and can be a mag for the men and a pin for the ladies..I made a beautiful wall hanging of the mountain.. my DM lived at for 40 yrs..she never forgot me or that mountain while ill with this horrible mind altering illness..got an honorable mention in a small show..let me know if I can help in anyway!!

How about a tissue holder like the one described in this tutorial: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-107636-1.htm in a fabric having a symbolizing connection to Alzheimer, e.g. the mentioned elephants or forget-me-nots.

These tissue holders are really easy and fast to make. I get about a dozen done in an hour.

How about buying a puzzle at the $ Store, spray painting the pieces purple and attaching a piece to a magnet. Cheap & Fast and it would be a wonderful reminder.

You could make refrigerator magnets from any design by printing them on your computer with the business card feature on paper used for making labels. Then stick them to a magnet. I think they even have sticky magnet stuff in 8.5 by ll so you could use regular paper to print on and then stick it to the magnet. Also look on iPrint site for printing ideas. reasonable I got 100 bookmarks for $29.99.

Quote Originally Posted by jodyma
    I am doing a talk in Sept. on a illness that is very dear to my heart(alzheimers). This will be to a mixed audience. I would like to make something to give to each person present that would ask them to think of someone with that disease and say a prayer for them each time they see it. It would have to be something for both sexes and something very simple and fast to make. I would need 20-30. I really don't want to buy anything-pens, bookmarks,etc. I feel those would just be put aside and forgotton about, but if it were homemade maybe it would more likely serve its' purpose. Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate your sharing with me. Thanks
    I to have an ache in my heart about this horrible illness, My mom died with this lurking in her brain in the year 1991.... I would think
    a small token to give out is a great idea so a reminder is always at hand... I like the refrigerator magnet, book marker, using the color that represents Alzheimers is a great idea... I can not remember the color at the moment, but I do remember there is a bracelet out for this, like the pink for cancer and the purple for Fibromyalgia, etc... good wishes to you for this presentation...

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    mug rugs? If they don't take too long to make?

pot holders?
    I thought Mug Rugs. too

do you embroider? there are a lot of nice designs out there - I usually make FSL items for Breast Cancer fundraising - sometimes a bookmark and sometimes a hanging pink ribbon.

this is an idea for a wedding but the book mark would be great for your needs too.jj
    http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog...s-and-flowers/

Quote Originally Posted by applique
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    an ELEPHANT......they never forget!!!!!
    A purple elephant!
    Love this idea. All of them are good.

pot holders?
    I also thought of the mug rugs, with maybe an applique' or embroidered spray of Forget-Me-Knots flowres? Maybe you could find some fabric with the flowers and make the mug rugs out of them?

mug rugs?
    In purple! And you can make a larger pieced block or a single piece of material - say about 12" - quilt it then cut into 4 6" squares to bind or serge. The quilting doesn't have to be fancy, just needs to hold everything together! If you like to crazy quilt, this is a great way to use up small pieces of material.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who is involved with the alzheimers quilt project, and was thinking that an gender neutral cup coasters would be fast and easy.

This would be fast and easy.
    http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2009/07...-coasters.html

This is another that can be made easily.
    http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts...ross_coas.html

Power Poster
    I like the polished/smooth stone idea -

with or without the attached prayer.

pot holders?
    Those were my thoughts as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast