Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need info on labels

I have to give a talk about labeling your quilt for our guild--don't why I was picked as I am fairly new to quilting. So I need input. How do you label and what info do you include. The labels I have used I made on the computer and they seem to be holding up well. Does anyone else use computer labels?

OK let me hear from you ladies. I have always been able to get lots of good help here.

Beverly

Banned
    I generally hand print my labels.

And this tip is a do as I say, not as I do... but

It is said that you should attach the label BEFORE you quilt , so the label is under the quilting...

With quilts becoming worth more money, not to mention the expense you put into the matrials, they have become a high theft item..

If the label is under the quilting, it cannot be easily removed and if it was removed it would be evident..

There are even web sites dedicated to "Lost" Quilts.

I bought a book of iron on quilt labels. You select, and iron on a piece of fabric. These have flowers and info that I color and write on with textile markers. I then sew them on the back :D

Quote Originally Posted by jstitch
    I generally hand print my labels.

And this tip is a do as I say, not as I do... but

It is said that you should attach the label BEFORE you quilt , so the label is under the quilting...

With quilts becoming worth more money, not to mention the expense you put into the matrials, they have become a high theft item..

If the label is under the quilting, it cannot be easily removed and if it was removed it would be evident..

There are even web sites dedicated to "Lost" Quilts.
    Judy, I never thought about people actually stealing quilts!!! How awful!!!!

I make my labels by computer. I put the name of the quilt, who the quilt is made for, the date, my name and the name of the quilter (if different).
    Hopes this helps.

Banned
    Here is the link for the lost quilts

http://www.lostquilt.com/

I use a micron pigma pen (available at any craft or quilt shop) and attach it before I quilt.

Here is an example of a label for a group project. I edited out the personal information.

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...Jill/label.jpg[/IMG]

:(

Banned
    This would take longer, but embroider it on the back/front. :D

Banned
    Add to Sharon's list, Name of Longarm Machine Quilter if you do not quilt your own and she does not provide her own label for you (mine does if asked). I use a different order, but all the same info as Sharon. Usually I also include a "sentiment".

I have always hand written them in the past, but am going to try Printed Treasures for the five that are going out for Christmas. That way both labels on them will be the same type.

Power Poster
    I saw someone suggest writing something UNDER the binding in addition to the label.

I've never heard of including the label under the quilting, and I'm having some trouble picturing how it's done. Do you do it on the first part or the last part of the quilting? How do you prepare the label ahead of time - seam allowances, etc. - and how do you attach it to the quilt? Any tips on how to position it perfectly? After quilting, do you hand sew the edges? I quilt on a Grace frame, and can't quite figure this out. Thanks for any tips - sounds like a good idea.

Power Poster
    I think it was to write something in ink in the seam allowance that would get covered by the binding.

The only person that would know about it is the maker because it would be completely covered.

Of course, the down side is that part of the seam binding would have to be unsewn to reveal the writing.

This is in addition to a normal label.

Thanks everyone.

Nor'easter wrote

I have always hand written them in the past, but am going to try Printed Treasures for the five that are going out for Christmas. That way both labels on them will be the same type.

What is Printed Treasures

Banned
    They are fabric sheets for ink jet printers that are 200 thread cotton, stay really soft, come in iron-on and sew-on, do not need any special washing to set the colors, lots of good reviews on them. I got some at JoAnn's yesterday for half price. http://www.printedtreasures.com/Pages/home.aspx

I use the ink jet fabric sheets for my labels, this is one that I did for one of my quilts. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I make quilts for nursing homes and just delivered my 10th for this year. The last one was for a guy with MS and confined to a wheel chair, and really loves sports. I used sports fabric and for the label, I traced the shape of a football, enlarged it on my printer, fused it to the back corner, then quilted the top. Then I used the quilting stitch on my machine and followed the outside shape to seal the edging. Written with a permanet fabric pen I do believe it will stay put through washings and hope no one else claims it. I put the persons name, my name and date. If the quilt is for a family member, I use the shape of a heart and write a short phrase pertaining to the person or reason for the quilt. It just adds a special touch and means alot to the person.

I have only done one label so far, have only done two quilts! But I took a piece of matching fabric, and hand wrote my message in Pigma pen. Used a dry iron on it to set the ink. Then I pressed the edges to fold them under, used Wundaweb (fusible webbing) to stick it to the quilt, then hand blind stitched it make it doubly secure. Washed it the next day and it was fine.

I'm still curious and confused about the mechanics of attaching the label before the quilting like Cathe showed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico92402
    I'm still curious and confused about the mechanics of attaching the label before the quilting like Cathe showed.
    Calico,

It doesnt really matter what technique you use to apply the label, just do it before you quilt it..

If you write it on a seperate piece of fabric and blind stitch it to the back of the quilt before quilting, then it will be quited over during the quilting process.

If you make a label with your embroidery machine, same thing, just attach it to the quilt back before you quilt it.

If you are sending it out to be quilted, I see how you are confused in this instance..call your quilter and ask her/him how they would prefer you to do it.. it may depend on how they set up their machine..

I you are layering and basting the quilt yourself, baste it together first, then you can see where the label should be placed...

Did that help?

Thank you - that does help a bit. I quilt on a Grace frame, not my regular sewing machine, and that's why I'm having trouble picturing it, getting it positioned just right with the quilt top, etc. I'll have to work at it.

I saw a quilt that had so much history to it the label became a hand written book. She finished the label with a cover that had a ribbon to tie the book closed. All of the label/book was hand stitched to the back of the quilt. The size of the label was about 8 inches square.
    So, my tip is - anything and everything that relates to the quilt or the reason the quilt was made etc., etc.,

Judy is right - I layered and basted the quilt and then positioned the label on the back. I folded in the edges (it is actually easiest if you baste them and then pull out the basting stitch afterward.) and then slipstitched it to the back of the quilt. Then I went ahead and quilted!

Thanks everyone. This all helps a lot, I have only made a few quilts and just put my name, the person I made the quilt for and the date on it. But I can see where more info would be nice and never thought about putting it on before it was quilted.